2021/08/05 - Greenfield Lake Amphitheatre - Wilmington, NC

I’m with you a bit here, the jams this year just are not quite getting there and are often sounding like retreads of better UM jams from the past. Sure this Linear & Booth & 2x2 are perfectly solid and acceptable but when have they kicked shit into overdrive and crushed a jam like 7/3/19 Linear or 3/29/19 IDM this year?

It’s OK tho we know they pacing themselves for MW run next weekend.

2 Likes

I was pretty jaded in my 70s but then I saw 10.7.09 Traverse City totaled my car hitting a deer on the drive back to East Lansing and I took that insurance settlement and rode it to 100th show next March in Minneapolis. Haven’t been jaded since 2009 brahs. We have yet to witness their best!

3 Likes

I don’t understand how some people hate Fir. :wink: Song (usually) delivers the goods. Booth is a great song, but I’ve heard it so much, I just don’t want to see it five times a year anymore.

I think I just got lucky and saw a lot of good shows early on when I first started seeing them. They set the bar pretty high for themselves. But as you mentioned it just takes one to really light the fire again, and they always seem to throw one of those in at an opportune time so I’m not too worried

1 Like

I was already feeling jaded 20ish shows in.

Then I caught that Bridgeless at Red Rocks and I’m back in the game. Still not going to LA though.

1 Like

I’ll go to LA if you go to LA. I was just going to fly back after Oakland but part of me can’t do just 2/4 California shows so I probably will book Southwest flights to LA and San Diego so I have the option to finish the run. The Wiltern is a sick place to see Umphreys haven’t been back since 2017 so probably should do it. \mm/

Nice, this was a solid run. Love that 3/12/10 show. I should be in LA > SD so hope to run into you there.

1 Like

I’m doing San Diego but I won’t be able to do LA

I love that traverse city show!

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

• I tracked end Mantis seperately, as it should be on Nugs. If it gets updated I should be within a second or two.
  • Beginning of Booth (pre “planned jam”) has some serious Where the Streets Have No Names vibes…really felt like notating it but wasn’t sure. Like they aren’t playing the exact notes, or the exact pattern, but there’s no way they weren’t intending to imitate that sound.
1 Like

cw2 jam is really uplifting!

1 Like

@jwelsh8 cem walk 1 and 2 are misspelled on nugs. They have them up as cemetary walk

Chuck Mangione tease in 2x2

This show is really good

2 Likes

Def a top 3 for me. Might be the only show I’ve revisited since my first listen but it’s still 2021 UM unfortunately

just got to booth love wow this is amazing

1 Like

Did not think 2x2 or Linear were anything special. Cool to hear an interesting jam in Booth for once but it seemed a little disjointed and BB’s playing a bit sloppy. Mantis jam sounds absolutely great though. But again that abrupt drop into Roctopus out of that soaring pretty jam is just ugly

Not sure if they actually played this during rocto?

Think that’s just the song’s composed structure

2 Likes