2021/07/10 - The Caverns - Pelham, TN

Also fun to see them return to a Plunger with the jam at the 3:30-4min mark, instead of the 7:30-8min mark (post-castanets) as the last 5-6 have been.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m done complaining now. This Much Obliged is fantastic upon relisten. Dark, mysterious lyricals are back!

4 Likes

I like them mixing it up but I generally like Plunger outro jams more than middle jams. They usually tend to go more into my preferred darker proggy territory. Although at the end of a set the middle jam lends itself better to having enough room to stretch out.

2 Likes

I embrace all jams in and out of Plunger. The middle jams are usually pretty UM which are not so common anymore…a majority of Plunger jams are outro nowadays…

1 Like

I hadn’t heard a lyrical stew in years. So happy to hear one again

3 Likes

Last lyrical Stew I heard was the RRX Phils in 2018. That was pretty awesome. Very happy that they’ve played two in the last month or so…

1 Like

I wish I liked UM this much

3 Likes

It would be nice to not be jaded at all.

I haven’t listened back but by dad and brother-in-law loved that jam.

2 Likes

Loving this Much Obliged. Like something off of the Two-Tone label.

2 Likes

I honestly haven’t listened back to N2 at all yet. I do remember enjoying it as well. But an 11 min puppet as “the best improv I’ve ever heard” is just awesomely not jaded

1 Like

Smokehouse lodge ftw!

2 Likes

Joel talking about the jamless U Fir. Probably confirms it was Kris messing up

2 Likes

That place is the shit. Did you race bigwheels?

2 Likes

Hell yeah we did. So much fun! No fucks given. Can only imagine what it’s like for biscuits. I might have to do a night in November and stay there again. Really want a cabin lol

2 Likes

This show is pretty good. Definitely not top tier but I have been enjoying listening back. Some moments that stand out:

• Dump City jam is real solid, kinda straightforward jam but it’s the kinda dark driving stuff they do well

• Deeper > Wife Soup, harmony UM in full effect, the vox sound great on these tunes. The Deeper jam is really freeform in a good way.

• Great American w/ Kurt is really nice but goddamn why not keep that jam going? Was a really lovely frustratingly short jam

• Hourglass has to be one of the weirdest set openers I’ve ever seen. Phil’s jam is good tho

• Much Obliged lyrical is very unique, great Police-esque jam.

• Plunger was def the highlight of the weekend, unexpected ominous Joel-on-piano leading the jam toward a big peak. Loved the song selection toward the end of the 2nd set.

1 Like

Any thoughts on the Red Tape? Favorite part of the weekend was Much Obliged > Red Tape. I always love hearing vocal stews live even if they don’t hold up greatly on relistens

I love Red Tape but I wouldn’t say it was that great of a version. My fav part of that is the build up back to the ending, and this wasn’t executed quite as perfectly as, say, the Nashville 19 version.

The Dump City is my jam. Hard hitting proggy driving UM. Definitely not unique but goddamn do Kris’ drums sound good.

1 Like

Been thinking about how great this second set would’ve been if they hadn’t botched the U Fir out of Heart and Sould and did an extended dance jam a la 8/13 Milwaukee. Then MO > vocal stew > Red Tape to close the show. Although the Plunger is worth relistening, I think it could’ve been special if things went as planned

1 Like