2021/05/15 - SeatGeek Stadium - Chicago, Il

I listened to the Tribute, Triple and Floor. Enjoyed all 3, looking fwd to listening to the rest of the second set tomorrow!

1 Like

I personally thought the best improv in set 2 was that jam out of Divisions into Fussy. The Tribute, 3X & Sim Skin all had solid chunks as well. There were smaller spots of improv in quite a few other tunes, but those 4 were the best, most fleshed out jams.

I’ll have to re-listen, but I was pretty sober & fairly dialed in…no psychedelic sound enhancements for me last night, aside from a few pulls off a doob here & there, and only 2 beers. Second set just felt pretty special in the moment. I do think 1st set improv was better overall.

4 Likes

Sim Skin > Tribute and Triple Wide > Floor are really nice. A little disappointed to have missed this run as these seem to be the best Chicago shows in a while.

6 Likes

Haha I totally saw you in the Dino suit. Back right corner

1 Like

Completely agree about the end of divisions > fussy. Forgot about that!

1 Like

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

5 Likes

Rad

Hightlights for me were the Similar, Triple, and Tribute. The triple wide in particular I’m pretty fond of. I’ve stated before that I’m a sucker for the poppy melodic jams, and the B section of this one delivers exactly what I’m looking for, just wish there was more.

3 Likes

This def is a standout 3x of the last couple years, considering how “type I”/short they tend to be nowadays

4 Likes

Tribute has been my favorite “live” improv out of all these social distanced/drive-in shows (no webcast live studio shows).

Favorite 3X jam I’ve heard in a few years, too.

5 Likes

Tribute is fucking incredible

1 Like

Yeah, I do really need to listen back to it, because I admittedly may have been more swept up in the fact that I was seeing a legit jam in Divisions, that just jumped off in a totally different direction than all the typical (somewhat standard/boring) versions of the past handful of years. That tune is a huge part of my initial love affair w/the band back in like 2000/2001, so I will always love it, but I’d be totally full of shit if I were to say that the tune is anything but a shell of what it once was, in terms of spawning improv. It used to be one of those tunes that just had that feeling of never knowing where it may take the direction of the jam/set, but those days are way in the past, at least for the most part. I fully understand why the band has left it in the rear view, as far as jam vehicles go, as their sound keeps evolving, and the jam vehicles have taken a more aggressive or dance party vibe. I have no complaints there, but I was tickled pink by that jam popping up where it did last night. The jam in 3X, short jam in the Floor, the Phil’s/SF2/Farm were a blast, then Divisions came & I just expected normal sing along, Bayliss standard.

It just felt special to me in the moment, but then again everything feels ~kinda~ special after this last year of drama in so many aspects of life. I def felt like the Tribute was my favorite single tune of the evening, but again I need to listen back at some point soon.

4 Likes

I love all the sad Safety in Numbers songs. They definitely work if they are placed correctly in a set list and used sparingly. Having too many of them in a set throw off the vibe for sure.

“Everybody Wants You” teases in The Floor?

Of the 2 shows I prefer this one. The SS was the MVP of the show. Tribute was no slouch either. Neither was 3X. Solid versions of every song here and the setlist fits my UM preferences better than Saturday’s show - although the WBG would’ve been sweet in this show vice Saturday‘s. Overall probably the best Chicago show I’ve heard from them in quite a while

3 Likes

Agree Similar Skin was quietly one of the highlights.

Professor Wormbog was too short and I don’t know why they wouldn’t always do the “Zooms”

Tribute rules and is definitely one of this shows highlights.

Educated Guess and Suxity are throw always IMO

The Triple Wide was fantastic…real nice version and a show highlight. The floor was great and that’s a nice 1/2 punch to start the set :+1:t2:

Personally I wish they would’ve choose Red Tape over Phil’s, but nice to hear SF2 worked in.

Divisions has always kinda represented umphreys to me and while I don’t get as excited about it as I used to, this was a good number (just wished they didn’t save the ending for the encore.

Dutchman is always welcome and a treat.

Mail Package doesn’t show up that much anymore, and love hearing it, but I don’t think it’s best served as a set closer (esp. S2)

Weight around should never be in an encore slot IMO unless it’s like a 4 song E.

A big cover (think flippy floppy) would have been ideal here.

#butitsnotmyband :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’d be okay if they permanently replaced Phil’s with Red Tape

2 Likes

I’ll take these 2 over No Diablo any day. What shocks me about Educated Guess is that I always thought it would explode into a badass jam vehicle ala Mantis. By the same token I never expected SS to become the jam vehicle I thought Educated Guess would be.

2 Likes

I love every one of the songs you listed. Nothing wrong with conveying your emotions through music. IMO, being able to compose tunes like this is one of the reasons Umphreys stands out in the jam band scene. They actually give a shit and try to write quality music that isn’t just sections to solo over for 20 minutes.

3 Likes

@jwelsh8 pretty strong Stand Up and Shout - Dio teases/jam in this Phil’s

2 Likes