2020 Listening Guide Summaries

idk why the 2x2 preview is fucking up but I tried reupping it, remaking the file, and nothing’s working :confused:

You can still select it I guess

2 Likes

First off, this is unbelievable. Thank you for doing this. Unfortunately won’t get the recognition you deserve bc this is a biscuits board

I wonder if you move 2x2 to the bottom of the list (I.e. not the first hidden details tag) is it still fucked? If so then not sure. If not then it seems some glitch for first list item and you could just put an empty spoiler tag at the top ?

5 Likes

This rules

2 Likes

Move to elect @NikoEstevan as new Bort MVP.

4 Likes

This is so awesome. Its super cool to look at the charts and see which tunes really do look the same every time they’re played and others that are just all over the map. Great work man.

2 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

i need to hear that front porch

Damn this is cool. Do this for 2007 and 2011 please

5 Likes

These are sick great work. Wish they were around back when I actually listened to UM.

3 Likes

Minuswell cover everything else from 03-13 while you’re at it

This is awesome Niko.

Quick question, what does Vamp mean? I know you’ve laid out what that means in the past, I just can’t remember

Just got done reading through the og thread cause I was looking for the same thing

1 Like

Ah so vamp is the special flavor of the song for that show. Neat

Original: An Umphrey’s Song, played as per the studio recording (more or less), should a studio version exist.
Vamp: Improvisation over the backing song structure
Jam: Unique improvisation
Cover: Another artists song, as popularized by them (more or less)
Planned Jam: An element of an original song that is absent from the studio recording but is a frequent element in live renditions.
Banter/Noise: Crowd noise, band discussions/announcements, etc.

It’s like I probably could’ve explained it but I couldn’t. I just had assumed it was like an extended solo by a member or something during composed parts

Yah, I really debating just using “Type 1” and “Type 2” but I thought that could be less intuitive based on who’s looking and I didn’t necessarily want to use terms that (I think) originated in Phish forums

EDIT: I could also probably clarify “Vamp” slightly better and say “Improvisation over the original song structure”

3 Likes

Great, great work.

1 Like

So . . . With this said, anyone have their top five or ten options?

Do you mean like “most interesting looking ones”? If so it’d probably be hbb or utopian imo

Oh, I was thinking more of what people enjoyed from 2020. And if that coincides “visually” to the summaries.

There’s probably some of that, like I remembered the billy sit in at caverns had some extended solos in (I think) phils, and there’s a bad Friday with some “out of place” solos up front that are indicative of horns sitting in

1 Like