2020/02/28 - Crystal Ballroom - Portland, OR

the band liked it…

I like to party just as much as the next guy but that show was trash…SIYD… easily in the bottom 10% of UM shows I’ve seen. But honestly I’m glad you had fun

Do not tell your friends about this one.

3 Likes

Love parties. Most UM shows are parties. I have no doubt this show was a blast. Frasco chugging on stage, stage full of people singing “Don’t you forget about me”…it sounds lit.

This is the internet. Where everything is dissected and all the fun is sucked out.

I’m not sure what about that Bend show wasnt fun though… That’s my favorite 2020 show so far.

But I think this says it best

I got the clap jam back in college and the antibiotics cleared it up

5 Likes

yeh, not arguing any sort of ranking. meet me in Seattle, i’d like to buy you a drink!

Heading home but send me your Venmo and I’ll buy yours

bummer, another time perhaps…

classic bayliss, writing another boring ass setlist at the crystal ballroom, one of the worst rooms to see music in.

2 Likes

Is there a better venue for them to play in Portland? I hated the crystal ballroom when I saw them there a few years ago.

Am I the only one that thinks Andy Frasco seems like a huge dbag? Or is it just me? I mean him and Stasik seem like best friends.

2 Likes

Idk much about his music, but I think its fair to not like his stage antics. Outside of that, he seems to be a very well respected musician and is a huge advocate in supporting the mental health scene. He by no means a dumb wook constantly doing dumb things off the stage, even if he has a reputation of doing so on the stage haha.

Frasco also did the score for a Judd Apatow documentary that is about a comedian with depression and seems to be pretty moving. Gary Gulman is the comedian.

1 Like

Once upon a time Portland would consistently get show of the year candidates. Hasn’t been close to that in a long long time. Sad.

I like the crystal ballroom but it just gets too full for um now. Was it sold out last night?

Excited for tonight! (In a venue I dislike way more than the crystal ha!)

Solid response Paw. I honestly had no idea he was so involved in the mental health scene, that’s pretty neat honestly. All my favorite musicians seem to love the guy too. His stage antics make him come off as a huge dbag, but people love him. I almost went and saw him in Ferndale last week but it was a weekday and was feeling lazy.

This show was better than it looks on paper, imo. It sounds like KingCon picked a bad spot to watch the show from (yes, the venue sucks if you don’t play your cards right) and let that ruin his night.

No monsters but jams sprinkled throughout. Bad Friday and Junk were my highlights. I also enjoyed 1348, Suxcity, the 2nd half of NN and the short jam in Puppet.

Partied with him one night in Columbus years back, he is an incredibly humble and thoughtful individual. He mentions on his podcast (which is great) how his stage antics wear him down on tour and some shows he reels it back because it gets a little much.

Haven’t seen him much, but I listened to his one podcast where he had Goose on. It was cringe worthy dbag level. So awkward.

Unfortunately not. There is another similarly sized venue (the Roseland Theater) but it’s kind of a dump and has it’s own pile of reasons to hate it. The next size up is a nice theater but it’s probably too big for them (2700). Our best venue is arguable Rev Hall where moe. played last night but at 800 cap, I doubt we’ll see that happen anytime soon

When was the last good Crystal Ballroom show? Do they still have that divider in the middle of the floor for drinking/non drinking sides? I love PDX but they’ve been boned on quality shows for awhile now.

1 Like

I thought both show in 2018 were pretty good. 14-16 was kind of a rough patch.