2020/02/28 - Crystal Ballroom - Portland, OR

totally agree. i feel like re-listen value on most shows is fairly low though. i guess after so many years i don’t place as much emphasis on chasing perfection anymore.

^^^ sums it up pretty well for me too

@StoneJackBaller looks like your Set 1 listing is out of order, the pic is correct.

Preesh

Video of Andy chugging beers. Looks like a ton of fun

Sober side, left side balcony, right side balcony, bar side, in front of soundboard. It all sounds like shit and majority of the sight lines suck. The only redeeming quality of the place is that reentry is allowed.

I had fun too, but it doesn’t mean it was a good show.

1 Like

So much hate here! That was a great show IMO. The Crystal ballroom is always gonna suck unless you have a good spot (which is almost nowhere except for VIP)

I completely disagree with all of you :laughing:
Set 1 was :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

I do like the first set. Jams in 1348, Bad Friday, and Wappy are ok. Puppet is fun anytime imo, any improv is just a bonus.

But this is not a good show.

Oh and for a 22 min standalone Jajunk…that really went nowhere

Edit: Nopener is such a terrible song

Yea, the sound in that room is pretty awful. Got snowcones for the first time for that reason. The flow and the chompers on the bar side are what really ruin it for me. I usually stay fairly close on the under 21 side

Nopener is hilarious. In The Black is a terrible song

Is this a mags and el bastarde alter alias troll tread?

Love the Jajunk. No other real standouts.

1 Like

Kinda surprised by the hate. Yeah it’s two 9 song sets but they somehow managed to throw in plenty of jams. And the song selection is pretty good to me.

The main criticism I have is that the jams don’t really get exploratory and are pretty much what you’d expect for the songs which seems to be a disturbing trend lately. Kinda feels like they are on autopilot a lot this year.

1 Like

I don’t really agree that the jams have been typical for the song this year. Thinking of Beacon Mulches, that recent N2F, Jajunk from this show, most jams without Billy from Asheville N1, Caverns Fir, Penns Peak Sim Skin… etc etc.

Some jams are type 1 what you’d expect but I wouldn’t say any more so than usual. Generally, it’s just your Wappys and Night Nurses and Silent Types that give you the dance jams you’re expecting.

This Jajunk is actually really interesting and exploratory. It never really settles on any one idea long enough to be JOTY or anything, but it’s pretty cool. It sure stands out in this show.

1 Like

*breed

yyr! good catch…

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, to discuss its accuracy, or to make your own guide, check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

@StoneJackBaller is there Xanadu in the jam section of tinkle? Because that opening 25sec is definitely 2112.

No, the intro. But you’re absolutely right. It is 2112, not Xanadu.

They should be playing 2-3 night stands at Revolution Hall (where moe. played that same night). I saw UM in Bend and Yooj, but skipped Portland due to the Crystal sucking - saw moe. at Revolution Hall instead. Fun show, a place to sit, and plenty of room…

1 Like