2020/02/27 - McDonald Theatre - Eugene, OR

“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” tease in Speak Up.

Domino Theory. Thought they were going to play it since they cut it from Bend

Yeah they do a DT jam in the 2nd jam slot of HBB quite often, Penn’s Peak had one too. It’s a fun riff to build on but some on here would call it a crutch

As awesome as the 4 song set was and how much fun this show was to be at I’m finding the jams are leaving a little to be desired upon playback. They hit on some great moments but no comprehensive JOTY candidates imo. Also, happy b day to WhatsYourFadedMikeCount

Whoaaaaaaaa now can’t wait to listen to S2

This Billy is really patient. Loving the atmospheric nature, and lots and lots of Joel throughout.

1 Like

Really dug the 2nd HBB jam and the OB. Speak Up was kind of boring, sit in was decent.

Fuuuuck a WYSC/fadedvet sighting? I miss Mike.

This show is a step down from the previous night and not quite as amazing as it looks on paper, but still good. To be clear, HBB has 2 distinct jam sections, and then after they’re done, they temporarily go back into the song, then decide to do a Domino jam instead. This tacks a bit of extra time on that wouldn’t ordinarily be there. However, the second HBB jam in and of itself is very weird. They’re really beginning to consistently do 1-2 jams a show that experiment with Joel/Stasik sound effects and dark riffage, and it’s made every show since Memphis pretty interesting.

Ocean Billy offers a bit of lighter, smoother fare. It reminds me of the famous Charlotte 2015 Night Nurse, although it is a bit darker tinged than that. But it’s the same type of dark chilled out dance party that works really well late in a show.

1 Like

Anyone else having issues with the Nugs desktop page? Tried both home and work computers today and haven’t been able to stream anything.

From another thread:

2 Likes

Thanks!!

God damn that billy is everything I want in an umphreys jam. In related news, that bird bath was just the opposite.

Second set was not as good as I thought it was going to be. HBB was meh except for like 4 minutes of the second jam. Speak Up forgettable. Billy was a heater though

I like the Bird Bath, not an all time great but it’s certainly unique and exploratory. The Domino tease is so played out though.

Very rare that you get such a great jam late in the second set but this Billy is sublime. Love hearing Joel’s Rhodes so loud in the mix all over this.

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, to discuss its accuracy, or to make your own guide, check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

Not gonna lie, that 2nd set kicked my ass…can’t place the GnR or Stones teases, and the HBB was pretty bonkers (multiple originals in play, along with undertones of cover)…but there’s a couple bars of Skynyrd at the start of the Bad Poker vamp that frequently goes un-noted if that’s worth anything

This show is good. I love Drink My Drank opener. Super fucking weird. They should play that song more. Not sure about the hate on the HBB…I loved it, especially the second jam. Speak Up jam annoyed me tbh; it’s just very screechy and not much is landing. But other than that second set is phenomenal. The OB is top notch UM dance party. The groove from about the 10min mark on is so fire.

I don’t hear any of the GnR or Stones teases (as noted on ATU) in this second set at all. Definite DT tease at the end of HBB though I hesitate to call it a “jam”.

As for the Sweet Home Alabama tease in Bad Poker, I’m pretty sure they play that every time, which is why it’s left unnoted

1 Like

Bad Poker to the end is heat for 2020 so far…

Love this second set. HBB, Speak Up and especially OB are great. OB is 2011 territory, very smooth even when they get a little dark in sections. 2020 was off to a rockier start than 2019 had been but there are some really awesome jams in some of these shows

1 Like

Solid show.