2020/02/14 - ExploreAsheville.com Arena - Asheville, NC

Nice

Yeah, it got sticky

Had a great time and Umphreys Strikes Brass was good too. I love arena shows. See you guys tonight. Anyone wanna grab beers before? I’m rolling solo this run.

First half of set 1 was a total drag but the rest of this show smoked IMO. Pretty much everything from HBB on was great. Definitely keeping the theme of the weekend going with weird experimental jamming.

Billy Strings

Hollow Heart, Pyramid Country > How Mountain Girls Can Love, While I’m Waiting Here > Train Train, They Love Each Other, Love Me Darlin Just Tonight > Love Like Me, Must Be Seven, She Makes My Love, Away from the Mire

Listening Guide:

2020.02.14 Umphreys McGee Listening Guide

For more information on this guide, to discuss its accuracy, or to make your own guide, check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

Really dug the velvet jumpsuit Billy wore for this show. Very George Constanza like…

Great show. I loved it from HBB through the 2nd set…imo the Phil’s is HOF worthy even only having a 4.5min jam section, that Billy sit-in is just plain philthy, and it’s fun to see some extended vamps on both sides of the jam.

Also I tagged what I think is a Allman Bros Jessica tease (maybe something else) in Great American. It sounds like Billy hits part of the guitar solo and Jake picks up on it for his “response”.

I agree on the vamping comment. While I wanted a little bit more outta the Great American jam I love what they did with the outro.

I personally enjoyed the GA more than Phils. Especially the first jam/vamping or whatever we’re calling it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hated the song selection in the first set though at least the Booth and HBB were perhaps a little above average. I thought the second set was great, although it was more about quantity of improv rather than quality. There wasn’t any JOTY types but every song except for Weight Around had a jam. I also love to see sit-ins where the guest learned the composition.

I honestly didn’t like the Billy Strings sit ins that much. I have to relisten to GA because I was distracted but based on the hype I thought he was gonna be a lot better than he was. I didn’t like his tone either at all. Maybe he’s just not an electric player, but I found his playing awkward and boring during the jam in Phil’s. For comparison, I’ve liked Marcus King’s sit ins with UM a lot more.

Otherwise I liked this show a lot. HBB, AIT and Mitten were all awesome, and 1348 and Kitchen were pretty good too.

1 Like

You might want to CC this post in the hot takes thread.

FWIW, I really enjoyed the Marcus King Bad Friday I caught in Milwaukee.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I felt the first time I caught the full cover, 01-28-2011 (2nd time they played the full song).

Longtime lerker since the days of the old bort with very few posts to my name. I’ve been following the recent set list threads and think all the criticisms I’ve been noticing since the new bort went into affect are crazy.

For me, Umphrey’s is the band on the scene that uniquely rises above the rest by far. No other band even comes close to touching their approach to improv IMO.

I’ve been listening to a lot of recent shows on the nugs.net app, and I think this Valentine’s Day show is great! For me, songs like Crucial Taunt, ALB, HBB, and In the Kitchen all placed in the same set is a complete win. I couldn’t stop dancing at my desk throughout most of it and think the improv in HBB had some really good moments with all band members changing on a dime together throughout.

Mitten had an interesting jam segment complete with a Jetson’s tease by Brendon and Jake to start it off. Stasik got into a nasty effects pedal based groove and Joel was layering a dulcimer like effect below the funky guitar lines. Complete with some key changes to freshen things up and then the band was hitting all these punches together. I thought they eased back into the composed part very well with each member listening well and slightly adjusting to each others riffs and bringing everything to a nice peak before dropping back in. Top notch playing.

The whole AIT>The weight around was sweet. The AIT improve was a little meandering at times but dropped into weight around nicely.

The Billy Strings sit-ins are enjoyable, although I much prefer stand alone Umph sans guests. The first jam in GA had some Allman-esque moments and overall the band and guest were feeding off each other well.

17 min + 1348 as pretty cool too. I don’t get a chance to see the band much these days, but judging by the shows I’ve listened too/live streamed this year they are on top of their game.

2 Likes

3 year bump for this show. Billy Strings performing They Love Each Other was a very cool moment. Show started out rough but gained momentum ending the 1st set. This Mitten is probably in my top 10 jams I’ve seen live. Billy sitting in for 2 UM comps was pretty cool to see as well. Good memories and afterwards told myself I’d always hit Asheville shows moving forward

1 Like

great bump. streamed these shows HIGH AF from the couch.

1 Like

I think this is the show where I first glimpsed sjb in his dawgs shirt who happened to be right in front of me

2 Likes

Did he smell nice?

2 Likes

Smelled like Kirby Smarts freshly ironed khakis

4 Likes