2020/01/25 - Express Live - Columbus, OH

It was alright, nothing really that I would write home about. Puppet was probably the best jam of the night. Dump got weird in a really good way. Kitchen was dancey and fun per usual.

Also, let’s all keep in mind that my first initial opinions are always certifiably terrible. So, itll be interesting to listen back. Energy was definitely there

Hindsight and Looks in the same set is a nightmare.

Also thought it was strange that they walked out to Gurgle the last time they played Express Live in ‘18 as well. I’m usually not good at calling setlist writers, but I feel like this one was Jake

Looks like Puppet in total is just shy of the 20 minute mark. That is awesome for a song that I feel has mostly gotten the shaft on improv in the last few years.

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, to discuss its accuracy, or to make your own guide, check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

I love the wordplay going on in Set 2, Dump City into “Suck-city”, and In The Flesh/Wall/Kitchen combo

While this is incredibly awesome, you’ve got way too much time of your hands!

1 Like

Idk if it’s a “too much time on his hands” thing as much as it’s a work out of sheer passion. I love it. I’ve never seen better visual aids be made for shows.

2 Likes

“Another Brick in the Wall”

Always wished they’d specify. There’s three of them.

Factor did an amazing job in Columbus. Excited to see what he comes with as the venues get larger in Ft. Wayne, Detroit, and Asheville.

1 Like

Was getting a little salty about getting another ABITW, but just realized it hadn’t been played since Red Rocks 2018. I feel like I catch almost every version of this song (currently 3 of the last 4) and was thinking I had just recently seen it, but time got away from me a little bit apparently.

Yeah, and that RR ABITW was fire

ABITW not getting played at all in 2019 is surprising.

I’ve been quiet because I’ve thought the first 5 shows of this year were steady but not that exciting and I was beginning to get a bit concerned. This one is great though and the clear winner of the year for me so far. If you don’t like random Jake bursts of noise and metallic aggression, you won’t care for this show very much. However, this is one of those shows where I feel Jake usually has the perfect idea to contribute on top of the textures being created by the rest of the band to make the improv rise to the occasion. The frenetic pace of the jamming certainly helps Jake fit in in Puppet, Kitchen and especially Dump. Lots of great experimental stuff here and Dump’s peak is huge. The surprise drop into Suxity afterward is a nice touch. Don’t let the blah-looking setlist get you down on this one.

Agreed, this year has not really delivered the next level gems yet. This show is really fantastic though.

I think I expected a little more out of a 12 1/2 min Puppet jam but it was still good, just not GREAT. Fir is worth hearing, a shorter version of the song than usual but the jamming is sublimely jazzy. Kitchen jam is the highlight fo the show for me, really austere, percussive dance groove that floats along so effortlessly. Has a bit of a LCD Soundsystem-esque vibe at times. Might go so far as to say this is my fav jam of the year so far.

This ITK is also joty for me

May be nit picky here but transition from Fir > Puppet felt really weird…

holy shit it’s tynan?!?!

I’ve been jumping around a bit on some of these recent shows and I haven’t heard this ITK yet, but the Dump peak is fantastic and so is the transition >Suxity. The Puppet jam didn’t do much for me honestly, but the Dump was fire and I need to hear this Kitchen if y’all think it’s JOTY.

I would say the Nemo from Ft Wayne is JOTY but this Dump and Kitchen are fantastic.