2020/01/23 - Penn's Peak - Jim Thorpe, PA

Bron has the right idea I think, since it’s a repeat stew you could say half jam/half original. It definitely wasn’t planned it just seemed like Jake kinda stumbled over the riff and went with it once he realized what it was.

If they were labelled as “Original” they’re indistinguishable from the original sections of the main song and don’t stick out as anything different on the guide. If someone were to look at the guide hoping to find exactly where that Domino jam or strut starts they wouldn’t be able to. I agree that the terminology here is iffy but ultimately this guide exists to help new listeners understand what they’re hearing and guide vets towards what they’re looking for.

Just wondering how we would distinguish repeated stews like this- personally I wouldn’t say it’s a half or any part of a cover unless Mrs. Robinson’s Strut was taken from a cover song which as far as I know it isn’t. But it’s hard to call it it’s own song even though ATU says it is, I mean if they’re gospel than ok, but MRS isn’t even as fully formed as something like Q*Bert, which is it’s own song despite that it’s usually 2 minutes long and only has 2 quick parts. It’s much more like a Planned Jam, except in this case it wasn’t planned. Should there be a separate category for repeated stews or is that muddying things up too much, and maybe not even fixing the problem since usually you can call them planned jams unless they weren’t like in this case?

When I was in the early stages of making this guide I had considered having an “Original 2” slot for instances where they play a different original song in an Umphreys song. But like you say I was concerning about “muddying the water” with a new category (one that would get used even less than “planned jam”). I agree with you about the idea of a “repeat stew” category, it’s too adjacent to “planned jam”.

I honestly thought the idea of just putting it in “Cover” was an adequate solution, and I still think it’s the best solution if it’s redefined to include these kinds of elements. I’m going to make this idea its own post on the listening guide thread if you’d like to provide your input.

Not sure if it is used more often, but noticed the jam in Remind Me uses the same keys and effects used in the 10/23/19 ITK jam

Happy Birthday to a pretty okay show! I like the opening Plunger being the obvious highlight, but SS is okay, Remind Me is good and I like the NN > Ringo segment to open the 2nd set. This HBB is kinda underwhelming for being 16 minutes, I’ll admit that, but I do love that song. Cemetery Walk suite ends the set pretty nicely for me, the CWII is weird for a second so I appreciated the effort. Kashmir is a strange encore to say the least, but all in all it’s a solid show.