2020/01/19 - Brooklyn Bowl - Brooklyn, NY

They should have played fresh start instead.

1 Like

I was there for both; it’s fine! It’s a new song, they’re digging it! I enjoyed it both times.

When it replaces a potential Phil’s jam, it’s a bit of a bummer let alone when it was played Friday.

1 Like

Just got back from work and went to check if the stream was still up, it is! Live stream started me in the middle of Maybe Someday, but I’ll take it. Just getting into this Milk jam, solid so far. Also, Kris needs a piece of gum.

Exactly. Much rather they jam Phil’s there and then go home. It’s just so strange to me they would play the same song over the same run like that. Especially when so many people at this show was most likely at the Beacon shows.

Suxity was hand written into the encore slot. Looks like it was planned to be just Phil’s and Sux was added last minute.

I would have rather had jammed Phil’s as well, but dudes are obviously stoked on the new song so whatevs. Show has incredible song selection throughout anyway; other than Looks opener.

I dont mind Looks in the set opener spot. It was pretty rad in Madison 18 set 2 opener with a jam.

How were the yams in FP and Reso? I dig that old school segment

Resolution was good

Domino and Milk were the jams of the night imo but no JOTY candidates. Still had fun though!

Wow I woulda been seriously blue balled by YYZ. Stoked to listen to this one based on the posts here though.

I heard Kris refuses to play the YYZ drum solo since he’s being replaced with the drummer Spafford fired when his contract is up on 4/20/2020 so that’s why they only teased it.

3 Likes

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

2 Likes

3 standard songs to start the show was pretty rough. End of set 1 (Domino through end Tinkles) was great. Segue into Tribulations was so smooth, and the cover is amazing. It’s been stuck in my head since Sunday night. The FP/Reso segment was amazing to witness. Definitely the highlight of the night, and possibly of the whole weekend. Really enjoyed the little implied jam in 40s, and MV jam was nice.

I also thought it was weird they would play Suxity again after just playing it on Fri night, but as said above, they are obviously excited about the song. And rightfully so! It’s funky, gets a little heavy, catchy as hell and transitions perfectly into a jam. I would have rather gotten a full jammed out Phil’s but I wasn’t angry about seeing the song twice in one weekend.

Song selection was on point and energy was off the charts as always at BK bowl. I was up front and center for the whole show, which is something I don’t get to do much anymore for UM. Not sure how it will hold up on tape, but seriously great show!

It is my understanding they wanted to play their new single during the free webcast.

1 Like

Then why play it on Friday?

Maybe they weren’t thinking about the stream? Maybe they don’t mind repeating songs in different boroughs and don’t care what some fans think? Friday’s was stretched out a bit, so it’s clear they are seeing how they can make it work in a live setting.

(I’d personally rather see them open up the middle rather than the pause and Type I jam that Friday and Sunday featured.)

Agreed on the last sentence. Maybe they should just do what I want all the time.

2 Likes

After relistening to all the nights, I definitely think this is the best show. What stands out to me are the segues, GYMRH > Walletsworth was very smooth and well done, Tinkles > Tribulations > Tinkles was a blast and loved the jam at the end of the first Tinkles, and then Front Porch > Reso > Front Porch being the main highlight. Also really enjoyed PF > Suxity > PF but the first three were all superior IMO

I love the YYZ fake > The Fussy Dutchman.

Very strong efforts on Domino and Redo in this show. Also like that Tinkles / Tribulations but wish the jam out of Tinkles was longer.

I wish the vocal distortion for Domino wasn’t a thing. I can’t stand that shit but that jam was indeed a heater