2019/12/28 - The Fillmore - Denver, CO

That is actually not true. Nemo won by two percent.

Finally I am here! While i haven’t listened to anything, the clips i’ve seen on FB have some epic lights. Actually excited for my first Factor show!

1 Like

I liked this show a lot. Felt more locked in than night 1. CYOA set had plenty of good improv and every choice I made was played so that was tight. Nemo jam was probably my favorite of the show.

Set 2 other than Looks was awesome. High energy throughout. Probably doesn’t hold up on tape but the whole Higgins/Mulches segment to end set two was massive in person. And Wappy got solid treatment for an encore.

This first set is so nice on paper, unfortunately the jams are just a bit half-baked. Still a good set with A song selection. The unfinished Nemo is the exception, really lovely key changes in that one, but they still could have taken it further behind the Jake groove that he develops at the end.

Second set, again, massive potential on paper, loads of segues and split up tunes, but I think the improv is just not quite there. Kitchen jam is extremely disjointed and altogether boring, though the -> transition into Looks is well done. Plunger jam is a funky throwaway w/ some drums taboot, Mulche’s is your standard 3-min jam, and Higgins kicks into gear for a bit but it’s nothing unique for the song. Going back into the Mulche’s ending after Higgins would have been a fun surprise.

So far this year’s run is a bit of a let down compared to the rest of 2019 and last year’s ATL NYE run. Hopefully a killer improv set turns things around!

Definitely fewer big highlights to this point compared to last year’s run, but these shows have definitely felt really good to me in person. May be because I haven’t seen/listened to UM in about 4 months and went in without much expectations, or because I’m just having fun but the shows have delivered for me personally. Way better than the last two shows I saw this year (8/31 and 9/1)

Interesting that tonight’s VIP set was almost all CYOA losers. Red Tape, Breaker, CW 1/2. Plus Visions with a jam.

Show is pretty good. Really hoped that S1 would have sounded as good as it looks on paper, but none of the jams really did it for me (at least on my first listen). Still gotta give it another listen or two though. The transition into Looks is super weird, but it kinda works. The effort is 100% there and (off the top of my head) I can’t think of another show that had that true of a -> into Looks. It felt like everyone was kind of on a different page when trying to get into it, but after listening a few times, I dig it. Wappy energy during the composed parts is pretty damn high and works great as an encore pick. Still gotta really delve into the jams of S2 and wanna give Mantis a couple more listens.

Also, FWIW, Uncle Wally is labeled as Walletsworth on nugs.

Sounds like Kris initially started playing Tribulations instead of Higgins

Who sang Tribulations?

Kris. He did a great job.

2 Likes

Thanks I thought it might be him. But wasn’t 100%. Dude can sing.

“Nemo” is really pretty.

Really like the “Tribulations” vocals. Well done.

Listening Guide Below:

More information on this Listening Guide: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

1 Like

Wormbog jam is incredibly similar to HOF 18 Phils from 7/6/18. Not quite the same though is it?

Super nice jam, just lovely.

There may not be any JOTY candidates here, but I just finally listened to this set 2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the kind of creative setlist writing we all hope for. Tribulations is really pulled off well and so is the half of Mulche’s ending > Higgins ending > second half of Mulche’s ending they do to put a nice capper on the set. Good jams and transitions everywhere from Plunger on, with the only mild letdown being the forced CYHMK in Speak Up.

Wappy peak is pretty great especially for an encore.

Yeah S2 is decent and the wappy jam was more than i’d expect from that song these days, esp in the encore slot. The beginning of higgins was pretty oops and the miles davis IATT (not cyhmk) is classic jake crutch.

This segue into looks is pretty neat and a unique approach for UM.

show was a total fucking blast in person but not gonna relisten more than once. at this point i’m saying 12/30 and 12/28 were the highlights of this run.