2008/02/07 - Richard's on Richards - Vancouver, BC

Set 1: Soul Food I > Anchor Drops, Believe the Lie, Dump City[1], Nemo

Set 2: Der Bluten Kat > Search 4 > Der Bluten Kat > Alex’s House > I Ran, The Fuzz > Der Bluten Kat

Encore: Seek and Destroy > Higgins

[1] with JaJunk tease

The first of 2 amazing shows that Vancouver got in this year (and curiously enough, UM never went back after this).

The opening Soul Food I is one of the top-tier versions - I fluffed this one on the old new Bort. It’s a great jam - it’s funky, there are small hints of rockabilly, and some great Joel keyboard effects towards the end and > into AD. Believe the Lie is always welcome, and UM always did this song justice in the older days - this version is no exception. Now on to the masterpiece of the first set - Dump City. Like SFI, this version is essential listening. At 21 minutes long, it jams and jams hard. A top-shelf version that needs to be heard to be appreciated.

So let’s discuss this DBK triple decker sammie that’s better known as Set 2. Not that DBK is unwelcome by any means, and it’s a good DBK at that, but let’s talk about this 19 minute (I shit you not) version of Search 4. Still the longest Search 4 to date, it’s a rare jammed out version that is big time ear candy. A huge highlight for my ears.

And a rare Metallica cover in Seek and Destroy in the encore slot? LOVE IT!