2022/07/23 - Horning's Hideout - North Plains, OR

They seemed to get into some better territory throughout the weekend (albeit with with the help of other musicians) but the Friday late night left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn’t stay for all of it, so maybe they pulled it out.
Playing Mississippi Half-Step literally right after JRAD does is an odd choice, though.
I think it was my first time seeing those guys post-Jeff too, so it just is what it is. It can’t be like that anymore.

2 Likes

The weirdest part of their RR set was the new guy singing Half Moon Rising.

I haven’t seen yonder with their new mandolin player but they just haven’t had it since they kicked Jeff out. I like some of the tapes I’ve heard but they’ll never come close to what they were, Jeff was yonder and no one will ever come close to being him. Not even Billy Jesus Strings.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be fair to cap Billy’s ceiling at Jeff Austin. Hes going higher than that.

Billy will be (already is) way bigger than yonder/Jeff ever were but “sonically” Jeff was on a different level. I would sound like a burnt out spunion if I tried to explain what I mean by that, but Jeff is the GOAT of jamgrass IMO.

4 Likes

jeff was unique as shit that’s for sure.

for every high as shit, rough rambling of a show late in his career there were 5 shows with such high energy you thought your heart was going to explode. very, very few people can infuse that much emotion into music, Billy can really take his songs places but that extremely intense emotion isn’t his thing.

the first time I heard Half Moon Rising after my brother in law passed away had me lookin like

1 Like

Just revisited the section of the show I bailed at - quite possibly the worst Phil’s I’ve heard out of 31 seen prior and can’t say I’m salty about missing this. I’ve seen both covers they ended the show with multiple times so not worried about those either. I don’t get why they wouldn’t drop a cover in the first set…I don’t know who wrote this setlist but they definitely could have done better.

1 Like

Jeff had the light inside him, he was something special. Probably the most pure raw emotion I’ve ever seen live. I fuckin miss him so much.

2 Likes

fucken truth.

he honestly reminds me of Teddy Pendergrass the way you can feel the pain in his voice. Like I said, IMO very very few could do what he did.

1 Like

Is it worse than 2015 Seattle?

I stayed for that whole show so I’d say yes!

:flushed:

Just skimmed. I’d say this HBB alone saves the show from being worse than 2015 Seattle. That is a very solid version, with both jams bringing some creative ideas. The 1st jam is a nice high-speed jam, and the 2nd a bit darker. It’s still not as good as Asheville HBB though, yet it’s by far the highlight of this show so…yeah, not a great show.

That Phil’s was indeed really short and bad. Guess they just ran out of time?

It’s a one-off festival set and half of it’s acoustic, so yeah. Mehness was expected. Festival season giveth and it taketh away.

How you listen if it’s not on nugsz?

The YouTube video (embedded above).

1 Like

DYOR

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Do you have a time stamp for HBB? Pls

Timestamp

5 Likes

That’s not right @cshore , it’s here

3 Likes