Sturgill Simpson

I Dont Mind is a beautiful song, been stuck in my head these last few days.

1 Like

Sailors Guide is definitely my favorite album of Sturgill’s, with Metamodern Sounds being a very close second.

I just really don’t like bluegrass at all, so the new album does nothing for me. That being said, it is still better than Sound and Fury.

Just Let Go is really fucking me up on the deepest human levels today.

am i dreaming, am i dying? either way i don’t mind at all.

4 Likes

That’s my favorite song of his.

“Oh my god, it’s so beautiful, everything is a part of me.”

2 Likes

it really hurts, but i appreciate him for helping me unload it all

2 Likes

That was me with Tyler Childers yesterday. Shake the frost, universal sound, and all your’n got me really good and I ended up crying in my car

3 Likes

hell yeah team :clap:

Been delving into Sturgill lately. Mostmodern Sounds is a crazy album, I am not a fan of country but I like the way it often starts as straight up country or country/blues and then just gets way off the path. His songwriting in general is just great, in the admittedly small sample size I’ve heard of his I think it translates more on the new album, the stripped-down nature shows it off better.

My girl explained to me the origins of the Turtles All the Way Down phrase, never knew that.

1 Like

It was sailors guide that really hooked me, but metamodern sounds is the album that sold me. He’s soooo fucking good.

Care to elaborate? Too drunk too look it up. Where’s the drunk as a skunk thread when you need it?

2 Likes

Late to the party here, but wanted to say that I still enjoy S&F. I was put off by it on first listen but it grew on me more and more. I love how it’s a giant Fuck You to the industry. Saw him perform this live with @Mittens back in February and thought it translated ever better live.

That was my first and only Sturgill show. It was incredible. I hope to have another chance.

Anyone hear anything more about a second bluegrass album dropping soon? Thought I heard something about a December release but I’m too lazy to look it up.

It does say volume one on the cutting grass album so I’m sure there’s more to come eventually, but I haven’t heard anything

He definitely said it would be a “double album” when they did that show at the Ryman back in June.

Hoping for some new tunes.

Cutting Grass is fantastic. The only knock on it, for me, is that the album doesn’t feel like an album. But that’s also kind of the point of it.

Yeah it def has more of a “session” vibe more than anything. Can’t wait for my vinyl to ship, I spin this album at least 2x a week

I really like Sound & Fury, although I understand why it’s not exactly a favorite. Knowing that that style of record is likely a one off for him though, I think it was a weird and fun change of pace. Full of piss and vinegar and borderline obnoxious production choices but I appreciate the bombast of it.

My Cuttin’ Grass LP shipped today, albeit from Music Today, so it should arrive in about two weeks.

1 Like

Cuttin Grass Vol 2 drops at midnight!

4 Likes

3 Likes

siiiick. preordered.

2 Likes