Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part 1)

lets be honest. All of us are jealous that we cannot commercialize our typos into commemorative pins. Tip of the cap, these idiots want to give away their money, team UM is more than happy to oblige. We all wish it could be this easy, since you dont see phish fans doing this shit.

7 Likes

We should make omg barber pins

10 Likes

Wouldn’t buy

5 Likes

My buddy’s Xbox Live gamertag is Barberonk so when he falls off a map in a FPS it says, “Barberonk has fallen”.

1 Like

Fussy Dutchman is one of the best songs written songs by UM. Certainly my fav instrumental, just ahead of #5

1 Like

I dig the song, but I don’t really like catching it live. Probably because I’ve always felt like it never really gets the treatment, so I just checked. It has only three ‘Outstanding Versions’ (per that thread) and has been played 317 times. I feel like that has to be one of the lower Outstanding Versions to Times Played ratios that the band has.

Checked some others:

• Believe the Lie: 1/157 (.0064) (This one makes me sad)
  • Partyin’ Peeps: 2/272 (.0073)
  • Get in the Van: 2/249 (.0080)
  • Andy’s Last Beer: 3/345 (.0087)
  • The Fussy Dutchman: 3/317 (.0095)
  • Prowler: 4/386 (.0104)
  • 2nd Self: 4/380 (.0105)
  • Anchor Drops: 3/263 (.0114)
  • Thin Air: 3/261 (.0115)
  • Uncommon: 2/171 (.0117)
  • Out of Order: 3/248 (.0121)
  • Hangover: 5/345 (.0145)
  • Walletsworth: 5/343 (.0146)
  • All Things Ninja: 5/224 (.0223)

Obviously this analysis is flawed, since some songs are constantly jammed and some very rarely get that treatment. And the Outstanding Versions list is arguably flawed in some ways (outdated, inherent biases, etc.) But what can I say, I was bored at work and needed something to do.

Notes:

• I only looked at songs with 5 or fewer Outstanding Versions.
  • I didn’t include songs with fewer than 150 plays.
  • I probably missed some but I’m not a scientist.

Key Takeaway: They need to jam Believe the Lie more.

3 Likes

It definitely does not get very many jams, but as far as a standalone composition I truly love it. I’m really okay with it any time I catch a standard Fussy.

Fully on board with BTL getting more yams though.

3 Likes

BTL will eat up 1/3 of a setlist with zero improv. They really need to open that one up

1 Like

Totally with you there. I didn’t used to be this way, but I think I got a little jaded somewhere during 2018-2019 and got frustrated when I heard tunes that I just knew would have no improv, and this song was the biggest culprit for me. Probably doesn’t help that I was there for 3 of the last 8 times played.

I have never been a fan of BTL

1 Like

Gross.

1 Like

lol, who is the admin of that group

That’s a stretch. It probably averages 10 minutes long

Sultan is the admin of VfJ. But those screenshots are from the Umphrey’s Discussion group, and I don’t think he’s an admin in that one (but could be wrong).

It is a set eater, BB’s vocals use to be so awful on it, and I feel like I caught it non-stop back when I first started seeing them in 05-06. When they do an extended intro it is ok, and the ending is cool, but everything in the middle is meh.

I am pretty sure he thinks Umphrey’s Discussion is too negative, because that is how much he sucks

1 Like

Haha I hear you, I was mostly just busting your balls. Everyone has those songs that they’ve seen too many times.

@Southern_Dan you seen Plunger too many times?

3 Likes

I hear there’s someone 'round these parts who just can’t get enough of Hollywood Nights.

2 Likes

I believe UM discussion split off from V4J because of people getting sick of the e-celeb BS on V4J