Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Poo)

I haven’t listened to the last few shows but the 2-3 min ambient >’s have been their MO this year which have been pretty frustrating tbh. I’ll have to check this one out

Anyone have some good recommendations for best versions of deeper?

I’m not sure about older versions but I loved the one from 8/3/19. Feel like it was an overlooked jam at the time

2 Likes

12/18/12 stands above the rest IMO.

8/16/13 is my 2nd favorite

There’s a really one from Vermont fall 2012 I think

3 Likes

Everyone has their own thing that annoys them about UM but this is my #1

1 Like

Does the actual segue bother you or is it how they write it on the setlist?

It annoys me that it gets annotated as a “>”
It annoys me when I’m listening to a recording because there’s +2m of empty droning at the end of the song/jam.

2 Likes

Yeah they’ve really leaned hard into the ambient segues and it’s pretty lazy IMO. Every once in a while they used to turn out a really interesting ambient segue/end of jam (see 10/29/14 Plunger) but it’s become too common

3 Likes

Lazy is kind of their thing it seems. Jam the bare minimum. Play the bare minimum at shows. Always leaving 10+ minutes on the clock.

In a way they kinda deserve it after being the ultimate road warriors in the beginning of their careers. Doesn’t necessarily make for captivating performances, but is enough to ensure VFJ keeps paying their bills.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily care about short sets if the music is interesting. It’s lazy playing that bugs me

4 Likes

True, but they kinda go hand-in-hand

Yall see BB has a new show coming out?

22 Likes

Wtf

2 Likes

genderfluid actor

…that looks way too much like BB

This article explains it more and has another pic where they look too much like BB

3 Likes

Uncanny

Am I a good songwriter?

Sort Of.

Does UM still jam?

Sort Of.

6 Likes

Lol wtf this is nuts

1 Like

Thats so rich