Questionable Moves by the Band…

In some ways, I enjoy watching a stream more than actually being at the show. The beer is cheap and there is no drive home. The downside is I’m less distracted which allows me to be far more focused on the music and more critical. When I’m actually at a show I am generally there just having a good time soaking up the environment and less concerned about the quality of the improv.

2 Likes

I enjoy streaming shows because I haven’t had the same resources I’m used to for touring (resources lol…a full time job is more like it) in a while, but now that I am gainfully employed again my focus is back to my physical show count. It’s great to be able to watch from 1,000+ miles away and I enjoy restreaming but nothing beats hanging with the homies. One of my favorite parts of seeing Umphrey’s is running into old friends. In Vail I ran into two Kyles I knew (unrelated) sitting in the row in front of me. One I hadn’t seen since 2016 and the other since 2014. It was awesome to reunite and share a few laughs with people who helped shape your 20s.

5 Likes

They aren’t a jamband tho.

But to @Andrusy point, it shouldn’t be an excuse for UM. It’s not for anyone else. Biscuits are fine. Cheese is fine.

1 Like

Their cohesion and tightness is a huge part of what set them apart from the pack. Not slurring thru things, it’s defined playing that spans many genres that defines UM’s character (along with unicorns&&rainbows, darkness and humor, ofc)

3 Likes

More blockchain shit? I read these tweets from the official account and nothing that any of the accounts on that TL say has any substance whatsoever I’m so confused

Yep, web3 is just more crypto bullshit lol

2 Likes

And how does that make you feel?

6 Likes

I agree. While I believe in the future of NFTS and web3, I don’t care to be an early adopter guinea pig for the tech right now. Let someone else figure it out then innovate on their ideas instead of forcing your fans to be part of an experiment as we all fly by the seat of our pants.

1 Like

Partnering with The Marquee Network. Idk why but it seemed silly.

So is the NFT the barcode on my ticket app now?

Yeah why make money, generate new fans and do it while working for a team half to the bands likes

Idk, I just felt like it was a move that might be viewed, by some, as a sellout move. Hitching your wagon to a team that’s owned by a family that’s kinda shady and kinda politically toxic, while the team was currently in the process of starting a rebuild doesn’t strike me as a good long term plan. FWIW, I originally liked it since I’m a lifelong suffering fan of the Northsiders and would change my opinion if UM unlikely ever played a weekend run in Wrigley, that I’d shamelessly go to.

If it was 2002 you’d be in be in luck, now there’s no where for them to play in wrigleyville

1 Like

The Metro brah

3 Likes

it’s only a matter of time before they start revisiting venues they outgrew.

4 Likes

11/11-12 announcement after sacred rose

8 Likes

Yes

UM’s triumphant return to their Chicago roots and what started it all for them.

Not playing any covers until the end of their String Summit set. It seemed like so many people bailed on that show before it was over and by dropping covers earlier on in the show they probably could have engaged more of the casual or new potential fans at the festival.

4 Likes