Pooks’ Picks Thread

We had a folk duo (cello/fiddle) play glory for the processional and then bad Friday studio during the dance party

2 Likes

@gatroe
@sabretooth
@WhoDatVols
@DiabetesCOLE
@OSUmBeaverPhreak

Thank you for your patience! It’s been an wild ride at the house for the past month with my daughter’s wedding and subsequent move to Alaska. Crazy that my baby girl is married but I’m happy for her and my new son in law is a great stand up guy. But that’s for a different thread.

Anyways here is Pook’s Picks Vol.6:

Resolution (06.06.08 Detroit, MI) 20:56 - The previous night in Grand Rapids is regarded as a holy grail of UM, mainly because of IC > Synco. However I actually prefer this show and this Reso is a nice starting point for this playlist. The band leaves Reso at 1:58 for the jam session, which is nice lengthy uplifting jam that goes back to Reso at the 12:59 mark only to head back to the 2nd jam at 13:50. This jam sounds like a tribal reggae type of jam that ends up sounding an instrumental dub Reso that takes up the rest of the track. Great, great version! Jam time of 18:07

DBK (10.03.08 Muncie, IN) > Bottom Half (10.23.08 Vancouver, BC) > DBK (10.03.08 Muncie, IN) 35:09 - this DBK is rather stellar; however it suffers from having a standardtown Passing sandwiched in between. So I replaced the Passing with the Vancouver ‘08 Bottom Half. I can either bitch about the lame Passing or make my own DBK sammie, so I made my own :laughing:.

His DBK heads into its jam at the 5:04 mark with a Steely Dan kind of vibe and back to DBK at 6:56. But it’s short lived at they go back jamming at 7:52. It starts off as a bit of a dissonant jam that becomes Star Trek on acid. This jam goes back to DBK at 13:25 and rocks hard before > into Bottom Half. The jam starts at 3:32 as a chill type of jam that transitions into weird trippy dissonance with a chugging metal riff at around 7:50. This shit gets weird but in a good way. Simultaneously trippy, metallic and weird, this might be one of the better Bottom Halves out there. The riffing gets thrashing around the 10:50 mark but quickly gets psychedelic again. Short but sweet metal! Back to Bottom Half at 14:12 where it finishes before > back into Muncie DBK. Total jam time for this sammie is 18:05.

Bridgeless (11.18.08 Knoxville, TN) 22:01 - a highly regarded Bridgeless from a highly regarded show! This starts off with a nice rocking version that heads into jam territory at 6:25. The jam is fairly synth-heavy but goes into dance rock territory at 9:20 and goes full dance party at 11:20 and stays this way for the remainder. While it’s unfinished on this playlist, the 2nd Bridgeless is later in the set of this show. Jam time is 16:36

Syncopated Strangers (02.14.09 Madison, WI) 18:38 - starts off typical Synco fashion but then goes into a jam where the heavy moog section happens. The jam almost sounds like Steely Dan jamming in a hard rock way and at times reminds me of the Magnum PI theme song. THEN at 12:10 comes the ever familiar moog section and stays in Synco proper for the rest of the track.
Jam time of 8:42

Wife Soup (02.08.08 Seattle, WA) 22:25 - this version kicks off with the jazzy intro that the AD studio version (which doesn’t seem to happen often). This is a nice hard rocking Soup that heads into jam territory at 9:20. It starts as a trippy e-drum meets spaghetti western sound that quickly evolves into a rocking jam that sounds like a mix of SOYCD and Wife Soup. At 18:10, the jam ends and goes back to Wife Soup. It actually ends at 20:37 and the rest is Bayliss commentary about the booze hounds in the front row. Jam time of 8:50.

All In Time (07.05.08 Sioux City, IA) 20:56 - this is from a one setter they did that day. This show doesn’t get much mention here but it’s pretty damned solid. Starts off in typical AIT fashion but then kicks into an untzy funk jam at 2:48. Then at around the 11:00 mark it becomes a heavy rocking jam that goes back into AIT at 12:21. A minute later it goes into almost a dub AIT with a country-ish guitar solo that gets right back into regular AIT. Jam time of 9:33

8 Likes

I am pumped to give this a spin, especially after a long day. Excited to read the track-by-track write up and thank you for your efforts!!

1 Like

Nice! Hope you enjoyed it. I’m working on volume 7

Thanks for putting these together @Pookells, as someone who started seeing the band in 2012, it’s been really nice having some older jam recommendations to sift through with your comments to support them. Cheers!

5 Likes

Ahh we both got into UM the same year, I see! There’s a lot of gold in the 2006-2010 era.

Been a minute since we’ve seen one of these playlists pop up. July was a long time ago! Hope you are doing ok @Pookells!

5 Likes

Good call.

@Pookells where you at?

7 Likes

Doesn’t look like he’s posted in here since mid October. Hope all is well.

2 Likes

Pooks has been busy and will be back at some point.

4 Likes

Bring back Pooks Picks

7 Likes

I’ll have to figure out a theme for the next set of picks

3 Likes

You do polls for your picks?

Wouldnt be Pooks Picks if everyone picked them.

Thats whats wrong with the HOF ballots. They should just let @Pookells curate the HOF album.

3 Likes

Hmmm….you may have given me an idea @StoneJackBaller

3 Likes

I was referring to the theme. My bad.

Ahh, I see.

He never has before. Could be cool though.

2 Likes

That may be an option for the next one, but not this one I’m going to do.

Give me this week to put a playlist together. Should be out Saturday

3 Likes
1 Like

Ok so it’s a couple of days later than my own deadline, but here you go - just in time for your morning commute!

I decided to come up with my own HOF compilation for 2008, which is one of my favorite UM years. 2008 brought a lot of heat, so this was a challenge to put together. I tried to mix up obvious picks with lesser known ones that I really enjoy. So without further adieu, here we go:

Soul Food I (2/7/08 Vancouver, BC) - the first song from the first gig of ‘08 brings the heat! My favorite SF1 and it’s just badass, and it segues into…

Plunger (10/9/08 Albany, NY) - it’s not one of the epics that 2019 produced, but still a nice version here. At around the 3:35 mark, is this jam the origin of Booth Love in a faster tempo?

Pay The Snucka (10/25/08 Seattle) - This 18 minute show opener is a funkified dance party with a Crazy Train jam to boot. Nice version!

Got Your Milk (Right Here) (10/4/08 Peoria, IL) - lot of great jams from this show, but this was the best Milk of the year.

Blue Echo (4/1/08 Charlotte, NC) - one of the longest Blechos to date (if not THE longest) at 27:04. As Stefan would say on SNL - this has everything. They waste no time leaving Blecho at around the 3:30ish mark to go off into dance party mode with e-drum, then launching into dance rock, weird psychedelic shit and then going into a spacey long outro. There’s a lot to take in here. Enjoy and savor!

Visions of Parin (4/11/08 Northampton, MA) - great jam from a great show. Like Blecho before it, a ton going on here.

Resolution (6/6/08 Detroit) - excellent version coming off a hot IC > Synco from the previous night. Goes into a nice rock jam and comes back to Reso proper in the 12:40ish mark and then goes dub for the rest of the jam.

The Fuzz (2/27/08 Des Moines, IA) - longest Fuzz by UM (I think). They leave Fuzz proper and go into a low key funk jam and go towards a blissful southern rock type jam and navigate back to Fuzz proper. Great version.

Wife Soup (2/8/08 Seattle) - longest Soup to date. This one actually has the OG jazzy intro from the AD album. This one heads into blissful jam territory and goes back to Soup proper at around 18:30. It’s all your circus now.

DBK (4/3/08 Asheville, NC) - a stellar 33 minute version from one of the finest shows that year. And it’s a standalone version with a lot of ADHD shot going on. Pop the ear buds in and lose yourself in this.

Utopian Fir (5/23/08 SUMMERCAMP) - a great Fir from one of their trippiest shows ever. They leave Fir at 3:40-ish and go into LaLa land before returning to Fir proper at 17:47. Then they go trippy dub for the last 5 minutes. Aaron Rodgers wishes he was at this one!

Padgett’s > Nemo > Padgett’s (4/16/08 Burlington, VT) - Nice jammed out Padgett’s that in true 08 fashion gets weird, trippy and danceable. The Nemo’s is no different - shit gets a little weird here and then…Jake chugs to > end of Padgett’s.

IC > Synco (6/5/08 Grand Rapids, MI) - did you think I wouldn’t put this on here? Puh-leeze! What better jam to put in the encore slot? Considered the holy grail of UM, you can’t go wrong with a 45 minute encore, right?

:metal:

4 Likes