Lotus

Man this being inconclusive has gotta be even worse.

Is this lake in Arkansas cold and/or turbulent enough to cause what I assume are semi-experienced kayakers to drown?

3 Likes

don’t know about the temperature but Beaver Lake is a massive area. Over 420 miles of coastline, it’s basically a smaller of version of where the majority of Ozarks takes place.

1 Like

Fucking awful man

1 Like

I thought about this a good bit last night. If they were a good ways away from the shoreline, there was wind, and water was in the 50s, then it wouldnt be implausible for hypothermia to set in before they were able to resolve the situation.

Horrible shit

3 Likes

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/article273380735.html

From the article @OSUmBeaverPhreak posted

Thompson said it’s possible that Chuck and Charley drowned in the lake, as winds in the area rose to about 35 miles per hour while they were kayaking, and neither had worn life jackets.

“We didn’t realize how tumultuous the water can get,” she said, “especially in certain areas of Beaver Lake.”

3 Likes

It’s gone from search and rescue to a recovery effort. So sad.

1 Like

Ozark lakes can get some serious weather/turbulence. Not too uncommon from my understanding

This is heartbreaking, vibes to the Lotus family. Wow

1 Like

I was definitely underestimating this as well. I just kept focusing on the fact that they would have been a half mile from shore at most really anywhere on that lake. I guess if you got flipped by winds and your kayak blows away, things get hairy quick, especially if you’re battling choppy water and possibly burning energy trying to save your struggling partner.

Horrible

5 Likes

This whole situation is just so fucked. So much love sent out to the lotus family. I can’t imagine what the wife/mother is thinking or how she can handle all of this. Ugh. Is the band supposed to tour anytime soon.

1 Like

I also had a hard time imaging them being out of the water after the search didn’t end in the first day. The whole lake appears to be surrounded by roads and lodges/cottages. If they swam to shore anywhere, I figured they’d be close to getting somebody’s attention and getting home.

5 Likes

Getting flipped over in a lake w/o a lifejacket and your kayak blowing away would be tough no matter what. That is a hard swim to make.

6 Likes

also people I think underestimate how much quicker hypothermia sets on when you are completely wet. Like 50 degrees more than a few minutes is def enough for your core temps to start dropping

6 Likes

The initial shock must be tremendous too. This is so sad

3 Likes

I read that the water temps dropped somewhere between 30-40 degrees that night which would cause shock, in addition to the winds and low visibility. Not sure if someone already shared the same article I didn’t SUAR the articles in here.

1 Like

As an experienced paddler, I can say yes it’s very possible, if not probabable. Water temps in the 50’s will drain the body quickly of heat and mobility. Wearing PFD’s will help you stay afloat when the cold temps rob your muscles the ability to stay above the surface. Depending on the type of kayak they were in, re-entry becomes nearly impossible.

So many lives are lost meaninglessly in situations like this.

Wrong thread 101

Summary

Your tone, man

2 Likes

Particularly when wearing clothes like cotton hoodies and jeans, not that we necessarily know what they were wearing.

I get all that. Was more about the location than the general nature of kayaking in bad weather