How about them handapples?

So we booked our first show for two weeks from today. Venue and other bands wanted to hear what we sounded like, so I scrambled to put this together.

It’s not ever music I thought I’d be making, but a friend approached me during pandemic lockdown times, like 10 years ago, and wanted to start something. Her and the bassist wanted to do something New Order-esque, but I wanted to make it more proggy. Then our vocalist came in and wanted to be more poppy. So :man_shrugging:. We don’t jam though, maybe one day but this is the polysynth player and vocalist’s first time in a band.

I play guitar, program all the percussion, and play mono synth. To perform it I’ve got a my guitar and synth routed through a loop pedal and a midi controller to control my drum machine.

This demo is mostly an exercise in me learning Logic. I still have a lot to do on the percussion and vocals, but we needed to get something out.

Let me know what y’all think! We’re no Squeaky Feet but we’re having fun.

18 Likes

I dig it a bunch! Keep it up brotha

2 Likes

Thanks!

I think y’all would like Familiar Yellow best outa the three of them.

2 Likes

This is pretty cool. Sounds like if UM turned one of their intros into an actual song.

I’m all about that handscrotum.

2 Likes

Familiar Yellow is really cool. Does the vocalist actually have kind of a haunting character/tone to her voice or is that VFX? I’m an idiot and know nothing about music or production so you could tell me anything and I’d believe you.

1 Like

She’s a witch

3 Likes

That’s my vocal FX. Her tone is a little too Disney princess for my liking so I wanted to give her a haunting tone. It also fits with the subject matter of the song

1 Like

Are you guys planning on a rebrand from handapple to synthbiscuit in the near future?

Really dig the tracks though, nice work

4 Likes

Thanks!

I think that is a rotting partially dehydrated apple that Beck left in her basement for far too long.

2 Likes

This is sick. Honestly best song I’ve heard titled Ghost

3 Likes

Definitely nailed that in two out of three tracks.

1 Like

Just @ me when you drop a 1hr 16min Familiar Yellow in bumfuck Indiana

5 Likes

Thanks! I tried to suggest that the song be named something else but I was outvoted.

Really dig this!

1 Like

Instant love for the rabbits on the cover as a bunny owner :heart:

But this sounds great! I see what you mean about the singer’s voice having the disney princess element, that’s a good way to describe it, but she’s good on the ears. I would actually turn her up in the mix, unless you’re specifically not wanting that which I could see too. I like Ghost the most, though Familiar Yellow has a sick breakdown that comes in before the guitar solo that I like a lot.

1 Like

Thanks! Those bunnies are the other synth player’s. I know a surprising amount of bunny owners.

And yeah, especially in Familiar I think her vocals could go up. I didn’t have time to perfect the effects. Need to spend time with the stereo spread, reverb, and some side chain delay.

Constructive criticism absolutely welcome. I’ve been playing music for 20+ years but I’ve never actually engineered or mixed anything before this. Trying to be a better producer but there is so much to learn!

The drums aren’t mixed well because I just did a quick stereo capture of the drum machine. Next step is to get a track for each pad (eg kick, snare, etc…) so I can properly compress, EQ, mix, and control the stereo field of the drums with better granularity.

1 Like

lol I went to check out the venue we’re playing a week from today (debut show). It’s in the back of a Korean restaurant and I’m pretty sure I’m the only person here that’s not with the band. I’m not nervous anymore. I’m gonna shred this place.

5 Likes

Whos got the live stream

4 Likes

@WentzyMcGee come live stream handapples first show.

4 Likes

What the name of the place you are playing? Unlikely I’ll be able to make it this time around with girls sports schedules (spring is so hectic), but some time in the future.

Good luck! Stuff sounding good, man!