Afterlife (The Arcade Fire Thread)

Wasn’t sure what to name it, so went with my favorite song by Arcade Fire. I’m a Reflektor fanboi - had seen them twice before that album and didn’t really get it until then. Caught them in Windsor in 2017 and had the time of my life - best show I saw that year. Anyway, new album is out (WE) and tour announced. I’m trying to catch the Seattle or Vancouver show.

08/30 — Dublin, IE @ 3Arena *
09/02 — Birmingham, UK @ Utilita Arena Birmingham *
09/03 — Manchester, UK @ AO Arena *
09/05 — Glasgow, UK @ OVO Hydro *
09/08 — London, UK @ The O2 *
09/11 — Lille, FR @ Zenith*
09/12 — Antwerp, BE @ Sportpaleis *
09/14 — Cologne, DE @ Lanxess Arena *
09/15 — Paris, FR @ Accor Arena *
09/17 — Milan, IT @ Mediolanum Forum *
09/18 — Munich, DE @ Olympiahalle *
09/21 — Madrid, ES @ WiZink Center *
09/22 — Lisbon, PT @ Campo Pequeno *
09/23 — Lisbon, PT @ Campo Pequeno *
09/25 — Bordeaux, FR @ Arkea Arena *
09/26 — Nantes, FR @ Zenith de Nantes *
09/28 — Amsterdam, NL @ Ziggo Dome *
09/29 — Berlin, DE @ Mercedes-Benz Arena *
10/01 — Warsaw, PL @ COS Torwar *
10/28 — Washington, DC @ The Anthem ^
11/01 — Camden, NJ @ Waterfront Music Pavilion ^
11/04 — Brooklyn, NY @ Barclays Center ^
11/08 — Boston, MA @ MGM Fenway Music Hall ^
11/10 — Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena ^
11/12 — Chicago, IL @ United Center ^
11/13 — Minneapolis, MN @ The Armory ^
11/16 — Los Angeles, CA @ The Kia Forum ^
11/19 — San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium ^
11/22 — Seattle, WA @ Climate Pledge Arena ^
11/25 — Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena ^
11/27 — Edmonton, AB @ Rogers Place ^
12/01 — Toronto, ON @ Scotiabank Arena ^

• with Feist
    ^ with Beck (acoustic)

New album here:

never muted a thread so fast in my life.

7 Likes

lmao

I saw Arcade Fire at MSG in 2010 when they were touring The Suburbs. One of the most powerful performances I’ve ever seen in that venue. I remember the passion in Crown of Love so vividly. They played a good amount of songs from Funeral and a few Neon Bible tunes too. Spoon opened. Great experience.

2 Likes

love when the folky indie bands of my youth pop up on this board. I used to listen to Arcade Fire/Wolf Parade/Decemberists pretty heavily.

3 Likes

Have you listened to Everything Now? A lot of the older fans weren’t on board but I thought it was a solid album. Their last three albums have been very danceable and I can’t wait to see the new material live. Sometimes I regret doing an UM run on the East Coast in 2014 when I had the chance to catch them up at the Gorge that summer, but hopefully I’ll get another opportunity. I’ve only seen Phish there but would love to catch Radiohead, Arcade Fire, or Tool there at some point. Hell, I’d go see DMB if it was a better weekend than Labor Day. Love the Gorge!

wolf parade are an amazing band.

1 Like

Finally a band that really jams

I like reflektor, ep, and funeral. The rest is pretty meh.

They inspired several of my least favorite trends in popular music.

Same. I was really into Funeral but not much else. Checked out of the Decemberists around The Crane Wife but everything before was great. I was also huge on Everything All of the Time by Band of Horses.

I think it’s weird that sometimes I’ll really love one album by a band and never check out/give any other albums a shot. That BoH album still gets regular play from me though.

Not sure if this is the thread for it (it is now) but I always thought modest mouse sucked ass and was way overrated. Issac Brock seems like the biggest drunk douche bag

3 Likes

MM is pretty bad by and large but i really like lonesome crowded west and think trucker’s atlas is a rad song

https://youtu.be/Gl9vGHVT_Xs

1 Like

We should just change this thread to the high school indie rock thread

https://youtu.be/cH9EJg4o9-s

1 Like

Amazing band

2 Likes

I really liked The Crane Wife, but def notice a shift in their sound with that album.

Back in the day I used to torrent a single album sometimes before going full send on the discography so I feel this.

Modest Mouse was one of my favorite bands growing up. There was a girl I was crushing on who loved them so I ordered most of their discography off Amazon in 2003 to familiarize myself with their catalog and fell in love with them myself. @stringz mentioned my favorite album The Lonesome Crowded West but this morning I went with This Is A Long Drive Home With Nothing To Think About and that opening 1-2 punch of Dramamine and Breakthrough is so damn good. I’ve seen Modest Mouse several times and they are very hit or miss in the live setting. They are kind of like the Biscuits with Issac Brock being the Barber of the equation. If he’s feeling it then it will be a great show. On an off night though they can be a train wreck. I saw them at Stubb’s in Austin once and the late night was a Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr show inside which blew the Modest Mouse show that night away. Since we are talking indie rock jams in this thread I thought I’d mention this under the radar gem from 2011 I was obsessed with at the time…

I think they got some legal pressure to change their name because they just go by Jr Jr these days. Haven’t listened to any of their other albums though.

Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset is my favorite track from this album, since @everyone is on the edge of their seats wondering

2 Likes

Guessing the band’s days are numbered

1 Like

I personally think they are too big to let this unravel the band but I could definitely see them not getting festival offers for a minute. Selfishly I hope this doesn’t affect their tour, I was going to try to see them in November in Seattle. But at the same time, I hope the victims find peace. Knowing all the good and bad about the artists you follow in 2022 is such a Catch-22. Sometimes it is difficult to separate the artist from their actions.

1 Like