2024/03/22 - Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, CA

Drink My Drank is kinda gangster. I walked in during that and enjoyed it

1 Like

Feels So Good (Chuck Mangione) pretty common in there, but not all the time by BB. I’m a trumpet player, know that one pretty well.

Nugs needs coffee today. #5 is #5>2X2(which is mathematically accurate!) and Muffburger Sandwich sadly isn’t there, but it’s counterpart Muff 2 is instead.

Edit after listen- 2X2>#5>2X2, August, Similar Skin were all fun. I wouldn’t say heater, but the boys have been on one the last few shows. Seems like whatever funk they were in when they started in Aspen is over. I unapologetically love these guys.

4 Likes

It is gangsta

1 Like

Silent started getting filthy before they ripcorded it. Sad to see that half of my requests to Joel for LA/SD got played here (Skin, August, OoO, Pequod)

The segue back into 2x2 happens at about the 12:00 mark on Nugs (in case anyone was wondering).

I was psyched about a 19 minute #5 until I realized they didn’t track out the return to 2x2 :joy:

2 Likes

🩷:saxophone::rocket::new_moon:

is grand

Shut the fuck up and bite the pillow

4 Likes

Yes daddy

3 Likes

Where can you listen to both sets from this show?

Nugs.net, with either a streaming subscription or individual show purchase

1 Like

I’m only seeing streaming subscriptions. There’s no way to just download it?

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

This show kind of got lost in the shuffle of the #HeaterInTahoe the night before and SoCal afterwards.

Pretty solid opening jam in the Silent Type that pushes through a nice peak to keep on going before finding their way nicely back into the end of the song. Their willingness to push jams a little further and not abort after the first available peak is something I have really noticed this tour.

An odd early placement of Upward provides unexpected juxtaposition to the number sandwich that follows, which is just classic UM. #5 has a dark, building dance jam with heavy synth from Joel, Kris going bananas. I like it a lot. They really missed an opportunity to hit us with 13 days after the sandwich (math), but Looks kind of drags this set back instead. A decent jam in Puppet to close it out, some loose jazzy jamming with some squishy bass tone from Pony before finishing the song.

Fun August jam, nothing out of this world. Such a good song and good jam vehicle, though Pony leading this jam as he has done much of the tour.

SS is probably the jam of set 2. Some nice bass and guitar work get things going before they take off, Pony grooving, Jake with the octave and funk, BB with stacatto heavy delay. They kind of lose themselves for a.sec before picking up some slow blues. Good save. They milk this slow blues for a bit before picking up the pace and changing key before a return to SS.

This jam probably won’t land for many, but I appreciate their willingnessness to push through a weird spot and find something to groove on. Slow groovy blues is not a soundscape they stay in for very long so this SS was unique if nothing else. B+

The Muff II, the Pequod, and Althea (!) were all pretty special rarities (2 1st and a 2nd). Kind of an interesting setlist. On one hand we have Go To Hell, #5, Roctopus, and Looks. On the other, we have Upward, August, OoO, and the Pequod

Probably in the middle or bottom 3rd for me from the 9 WC shows, but I think that speaks to the quality of playing from UM. This show was a lot of fun

B

1 Like

Pretty good song selection for my tastes in this one but the improv was a touch underwhelming which is to be expected after the standout improv from the previous night.

The Silent Type and August were my standout jams…The Similar Skin is just not the style of UM jams I dig.

1 Like

I love Upward. Made my night. Not the best um show I’ve seen, but a damn good one. Wish I had made it to Tahoe.