2023/02/03 - First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN

Wait that august is similar skin

It was deeper!

1 Like

Yeah I really enjoyed this first set on tape. On paper it is ugly but Cut Off > 1348 > Mittten, Whistle Kids > 1348 is just fantastic, it actually flows really well, there is nothing super experimental but the jams are locked in.

1 Like

Hippie spun out his gourd trying hide under a bar table in the balcony.

4 Likes

In Mitten, Jake’s melody starting at 5:50 then it returns at 7:20 sounds familiar. Is he teasing something?

Also, this mitten is fantastic.

2 Likes

This is the “solid but short jams” show. I’m on board. My favorite jam of this show is probably IDM. That is such a great tempo to get an all-out dance party jam going for them. Glad they left it open-ended too. I appreciate how they keep trying to optimize this song’s structure. I think only one (and maybe two) more changes needed: slow once > optional jam > turbo version > implied jam > open-ended segue into next. I wasn’t even TOO annoyed by Kris’s “Latin”-ish yelling as they sped up, haha.

Man, the end of that Whistle Kids into 1348 sure gets manic quick, and they absolutely nailed that transition, huh? Perhaps they let the borter booing at the beginning inspire them :slight_smile: The Peeps > DBK 2 segue is also particularly on point.

2 Likes

IDM & Miami Virtue are both very good in this 2nd set, but I think Virtue is the highlight of show for me. That super buoyant joyous emotional peak sounds vaguely repeated from somewhere

2 Likes

:eyes: I’m interested now. IDM is such a great vehicle but I can’t stand that they feel like they have to finish this song

He’s definitely teasing something. It’s the vocal melody from a song. I can hear it in my head, but I don’t know the name.

Edit: I guess they’ve been doing a turbo latin section in IDM for a while now? This is the first time I’ve noticed it, but I haven’t listened to much recent stuff.

2 Likes

I dunno about latin but they’ve been doing the turbo section for awhile, not sure when it started. Typically I think they jam or noodle a bit longer before going into turbo, which is frustrating to those who want improv. This version gets to turbo nice and quick though.

3 Likes

@solvethebox I found it! The song Jake is teasing is Wicked Game by Chris Issak.

4 Likes

Holy shit, good call!! That’s totally it.

4 Likes

I was driving around with a friend yesterday and it came on their playlist. I had to snap of pic of the display so I’d remember. It was a very exciting discovery.

4 Likes

Just looked at all things UM, the tease is listed there lol, not sure how long it’s been listed.

3 Likes

Lol always one step ahead

3 Likes

This is dedication right here

1 Like