2022/12/30 - Coca Cola Roxy - Atlanta, GA

We (me) are living it up right now vibes are monumentally high

6 Likes

I preferred the Small Strides overall, had a little more depth to it. Jajunk was my favorite overall I think.

edit: actually nvm just got to the last part of the Small Strides jam and it really put it over the top for me with that spacy halftime stuff, so I’d say that’s the best jam of the show

1 Like

Yeah while listening to the small strides halftime stuff I thought to myself that I should be loving this on paper but it just didn’t click as hard as it should’ve for me. Oh well. I loved it in the moment fwiw

The patience on that junk is so tasty. Ambient section kinda bored me but then that uplifting second section proved me wrong. Very nice!

more ambience plz

1 Like

Tits out for the dawgs?

1 Like

Never that. But it’s always tits out for SJB at least. And it’s always fuck bama as well. Hope k state rocks them this half

1 Like

Show looks great on paper.

Wappy is hot

The peak of this small strides is a total disaster

All time great Intentions > Junk segment. That Junk second peak is perfection. 13-14 min jams in each is almost unprecedented

2 Likes

All the people are saying its the best Jajunk of the century. Its all the people are saying.

1 Like

2 Likes

Greta just tweeted “this is what happens when you don’t recycle jams”

6 Likes

This show reminds me of that one from last year that had a ton of improv. A few sections that are really cool, but otherwise it just sounds soooo sloppy.

Enjoyed the first 4-5 min of the IC jam and most of the Junk jam, but the second half of the IC and the peak of the Junk are just full of everybody playing over each other. It’s like BB and Jake forgot how to lock in on dual leads in peaks. They’re just noodling in the same register with no regard for what the other person is playing…

That’s what happens when you have kids and don’t play 200 shows a year.

4 Likes

To each their own but I have no idea how you could think that listening to this haha. I’d be interested to see what 2022 improv you actually liked if any. Attendance fluff but still

I’m on the fluff task force for this show full disclosure

2 Likes

Honestly didn’t listen to much this year because it all kinda felt this way to me. There were a few shows I listened to and enjoyed, but I’d have a hard time remembering what they were (other than the one I saw).

But seriously, put on any of those peaks (IC, Junk, Small Strides) and tell me they’re locked in and listening to each other. It’s all a mess of Jake, bb, and joel playing on top of each other in the same register rather than paying attention to what the others are playing.

1 Like

Finished this show today and I know everyone was talking about the amount of improv time in this show, and I agree it’s substantial, but I didn’t see anyone mention that arguably every single song goes type 2. You could argue that Den doesn’t have a traditional type 2 section and just has a small solo Joel lead in, and you could argue that end-Mantis and end-1348 (which don’t go type 2) count as standalone songs, but imo every single song has a type 2 section. Not sure if I’ve ever heard a show where that was the case.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the bass line right around the nine minute mark in Small Strides is a tease? The “wife” is convinced it’s RHCP.

Don’t hear any RHCP myself.

This was a weird relisten. I finally got to listen to it without “at the show” blinders on and I see what you all mean now about this having a lot of slop to it. It was exhilarating to be at a show with this much improv, so it was easy to get caught up in the moment. That being said, it’s not all slop either. Some is quite good.

Intentions is probably the weirdest roller coaster ride of them all. It starts off with the normal Intentions groove, and the jam is decent but it’s not quite as good as usual, and so they start that forced peak riff and that is indeed pretty rough - the band isn’t listening to one another at all there. But when you watch, you notice right after that “peak” ends Bayliss is clearly insisting on using the bluesy riff that ended up forming the 2nd great uplifting part of the jam rather than fading out into the next song. The rest of the band goes along, and THEN we get greatness. Also after relisten, I think the only pre-composed part of Intentions is that riff.

Jajunk is more greatness. Again, such patience, and a willingness to tease the crowd with faking going back into Junk was fun. Small Strides tries to be greatness, but yeah, that was a pretty rough peak too in execution. I appreciate that they are taking chances though. Hopefully with a MUCH more regular show schedule in 2023 these things will start to lock into place. Even on a show where the band members all feel like they’re on a different planet at times, there’s still plenty worth saving here because at least they went for it :slight_smile:

4 Likes