2022/09/08 - Red Butte Garden - Salt Lake City, UT

Pure Saturation jam is a blast. Reminds me of the 3/30/19 Spires a little.

Remind me jam sounds like Pony is playing Uptown Funk? or something but I don’t hate it.

Outstanding Puppet JO, the first moody chill groove is great, the fast peak is decent, but I love the dark drum n bass space from 12:00-15:00…jam just goes deep.

A+ second set and encore.

3 Likes

I’ve only listened up through Synco while running errands today. You’ve got me jacked up for this second set - if you are digging it, I’m probably going to be digging it I know that much!

1 Like

Whole show is great. Even the Floyd segments…Fuck.

1 Like

This Puppet is next level

Didn’t care for a standard Pure Saturation at Sacred Rose, but after listening to this version, I’m already convinced it’s a very proper vehicle. Absolutely love how they veer into the jam portion of the song.

I’m officially hype on this album in a live setting and am excited to catch more of them. UM = back!

4 Likes

New album is delivering big time in a live setting. Escape JOTY, Dayville, New Wings, and now Pure Saturation have all delivered some pretty high-end jams. IDKWIW and Small Strides both deliver improv too just maybe not as type II as the others.

3 Likes

Did the AUD from @opsopcopolis for the second set. Loved the flow of that one. And cool shoutout for Sanae - hadn’t heard that name in a while and that’s awesome she finally was able to catch a show post-pandemic.

In the end we must confess, you have yet to witness their best!

2 Likes

Small Strides is my favorite of the new songs so far live.

2 Likes

Man, what has gotten into this band lately? Show starts a little slow (jamming rock Cable continues to mostly be a dead end), but once we hit Virtue we are just in A+ gear from there to the end. Love the uplifting beautiful Virtue jam and the sinister, gradual transition into Wallets. Enjoy the Synco groove - as short as it is, I’m just happy they made the effort that deep into a set.

Then we hit Pure Saturation and that is a pure weird dark proggy cshore jam through and through. That one took me on a ride. Puppet is interesting in that they deliver what I would consider an ordinary Puppet jam section complete with uplifting peak, but rather than going back into the song after that, they just keep going and deliver a much more interesting electronic-styled jam complete with a very very cool → back into Puppet that I’m not sure they’ve ever done before.

I would be thrilled walking out of any of these first 5 West Coast shows (I would put this one behind San Diego but probably slightly ahead of LA for 2nd best out of the 5). Consistently hard-hitting stuff. Now on to Bozeman!

5 Likes

TIL Utah is on the West Coast.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

As far as UM is concerned, West Coast=“anything west of Red Rocks.” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As someone that has lived on the West Coast for a decade, this couldn’t annoy me more. Up until 2010 they toured the West Coast twice a year. Outside of High Sierra in 2015, Anaheim/High Sierra in 2019, and Huntington Beach in 2021 if I’m not mistaken, they haven’t hit the West Coast twice in one year over that stretch for two proper tours (aka 12-16 dates). Combine that with the fact that the 10-12 “West Coast” dates get cannibalized by Aspen nearly every year so it’s really 7-9 shows they play out here if they do a few weeks out west.

The fact that the Bay Area (unless you count TRX in 2017) and LA haven’t got a two nighter in years is alarming. Those are two of the biggest West Coast markets and the band can’t even manage to pull a multi-night run out here outside of Portland (thankfully) getting 3 two nighters over the last decade. I don’t really consider the Sandpoint x 2>Missoula x 2 in 2017 as West Coast multi-nighters cause they aren’t on the West Coast.

It is tough being a fan in the PacNW. Flights are outrageous more often than not these days and the band failed to grow Seattle at the same time they were trying to build up Portland. Seattle was one of the fastest growing major cities over the last ten years, while I get it that the jamband scene just doesn’t really exist out here like it does back east, their touring moves have baffled me more often than not.

2 Likes

Sunday night football starts at 5:20 though so at least you have that

3 Likes

10AM kickoffs are even better. My buddy and I used to literally show up to the strip club when they opened at 10:30AM and make a day of it gambling on the games, eating acid, and strip club hopping once we started getting cut off at a few places. I lived 500 feet from two clubs at the time so we could literally go back to my place shotgun beers to get even drunker then order whippits off Postmates and invite strangers from the strip club back afterwards. 2018 was one of the most reckless years of my life but man was it a blast!

3 Likes

Had a family vacation in Hawaii a few Septembers back. Loved rolling out of bed to have breakfast and watch Sunday “afternoon” football kickoff

2 Likes

everytime you mention this it reminds me that i probably lived within 500 feet of you for a while

2 Likes

I was in the apartments just south of that random house that is just south of Hawthorne Strip. Not the nicest spot but I was able to get a 2BR to myself for $1200 in 2018 so not a bad deal at all. I definitely miss Hawthorne Strip being my neighborhood bar. I’m in the NE these days.

1 Like

we were in a triplex at the top of the hill in the culdesac of 36th place

2 Likes

Getting around to this one, through cables and actually dug that jam even if it wasn’t anything special.