2022/02/26 - ExploreAsheville.com Arena - Asheville, NC

This was…honestly almost as good as last night. It has been a long time since I’ve heard them play two consecutive shows of this quality.

Tonight’s first set was easily the weakest of the 4 sets. The main problem here was that everyone, especially Jake, was rushing to the peak too much in every jam. That being said, jams were plentiful, and I’m looking forward to revisiting the smooth DNBish textures in Ringo and extended Joel-led funk jam in Reso. Oh, and I finally picked up my first Atmosfarag 102 shows deep :slight_smile: I’ll take it.

But then they just came out and went lights out for the 2nd set. HBB 1st jam was pretty routine, but 2nd went way into outer space and back, and the Slacker jam followed that route as well. Very easy to get lost in. Also I know Come Closer, The Silent Type looks like a weak finish but this is easily one of the best Silent Type jams they’ve ever done. This one actually went type 2 and had multiple sections to it as well as a nice, much more patient buildup than usual to the peak.

UM really gave their best this weekend to everyone who came out to Asheville. This year started off mostly on the same meh note of 2020, but I relistened to a lot of night 1 improv today and it holds up a worth revisiting. Betting night 2 will as well :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself! Agree on everything especially how they took multiple 1st set jams to ludicrous speed almost immediately (Ringo 2 / Reso 1?). I still enjoyed those a lot though! Love @kev347

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”

1 Like

That was a great two nights, cannot wait to listen back to both.

3 Likes

I’m wondering what shows started off as meh in 2022 to you? Personally I think they are killing it on winter tour. I hit four shows, and all of them were pretty damn good.

Actually let me rephrase that. I thought there were some good to great shows early on but Boston 1-Boston 2-Columbus-Washington DC-Raleigh were five average or below average shows in a row. Chattanooga was a bit above average and then these are probably both in their top 5 post-pandemic shows. Nice to see them recover this well :slight_smile:

1 Like

The amount of jamming this weekend was very refreshing. Both nights they seemed pretty loose and improv heavy. Could’ve done with a different encore but that’s a pretty minor complaint all things considered

Looking forward to listening to these. Hopefully they can change my opinion about recent um

1 Like

the boys might be back

2 Likes

But probably not

4 Likes

Probably not

7 Likes

Both nights look good!

Nice to hear positive reports.

1 Like
4 Likes

The non-nugs fam thanks you

4 Likes

Enjoy those hot joels

1 Like

I was at CBUS and had a blast, decent improv in a lot of the songs and I think it holds up on tape IMO. Nothing super great but def not below average show; at least to my ears.

@Random_Ass thats not what its called bud. Edit @timewilltell setlist.

Edit: nvm i guess the entire place including Thomas wolf is called Harrahs. The arena is exploreasheville. Yall right

1 Like

Yeah, I looked it up too just now.

1 Like

Just trying to keep things consistent for easier finding in searches. Believe me I wish it were called something less dumb.

2 Likes