2022/01/27 - Promowest Ovation - Newport, KY

Much love to Jaco, hopefully things end up ok with his family. Having said that, give me more of this PALEASE.

That might be the longest encore I’ve seen in 10 years

CLT 2018

1 Like

Listening now. I’m so about this show

Triple post cuz K is tight.

I feel like I would see UM a lot more if Jake wasn’t in the band. Which is crazy to me at this point, because Jake is a big part of what got me into UM.

2 Likes

I fux with this show so hard. Will be one I revisit for sure. So beautiful, relaxed, and amazing. Great setlist. Loose vibe. Completely unprovoked, the “wife” called it “top notch umphreys”.

Go BayBay!

4 Likes

This 2x2 is so good

1 Like

I just had a big catchup session after a long UM break, and I saved this show for last because I was looking forward to it and knew I would be taking longer to skim through it than usual wanting to hear how they handled certain composed parts without Jake. My conclusion: I had a lot of fun, but, at least in 2022, this band generally needs Jake to foster the improv we know and love. I realize this was short notice, but not much substantive happened here. 2x2 COULD have gotten to a cool place if they’d let it last just a little bit longer, though. Oh well.

But damn, Joel taking the 2nd DBK solo is so much fun. (Really, all of DBK is pretty fun.) And Bayliss doing a great job with Jake’s Puppet licks and actually doing a decent job holding down the Wappy intro by himself. And the randomness of the Mad Dog-conducted 2nd Front Porch jam. It’s a unique experience for sure, and they are to be applauded for cranking out a show this good minus an important member on short notice.

2 Likes

I’m still of the opinion that this no comment is noteworthy. Bayliss’s riff is such a nice texture for the rest of what’s going on. But I guess that’s why he’s daddy

1 Like