2021/11/14 - Morris Performing Arts Center - South Bend, IN

Even with being light on improv I definitely would’ve enjoyed this if I was there. Sometimes when the song selection is so up my alley I don’t mind there being TMSNEI. Though I am really sick of blueballed Syncos.

2 Likes

Big time. Why even play songs like Synco or Blue Echo if you aren’t playing them in a way that made them so popular? People request these “bust outs” because they are what produced some of the best improv/jams, not because they LOVE the song.

1 Like

Agreed. Drives me nuts when they play a rarer tune only for it to not have a jam. It’s dumb. Anchor Drops is another example of this.

Did anchor drops really ever have jams though?

lol i wholeheartedly disagree. I love the improv for sure, but if I request a song, its bc i LOVE the fuckin song

This show has an interesting split, as far as who likes it/who doesnt. Im totally with the side that i could fucking care less how much improv there is if the song selection is like what it was for this show

2 Likes

Yeah if I was going to request something for the jam it would end up being “twangy Phil’s” or something.

Requesting Last Call has nothing to do with a jam

If I was requesting Anchor Drops, SFB, Kimble or something like that, I’d feel the same way. Even something like a Wally that sometimes gets improv. I’ve heard these tunes a million times and seen UM a ton. If I request a Blue Echo, I’m requesting it based on how they’ve played it in the past. A standardish Echo or Synco would be major blue balls. I feel this is implied when requesting these major bangers.

I get what you are saying though. Also, I would have been totally happy with this show given what I’ve heard from UM this year. The AIT and Attachments were both solid and I have fun at UM shows either way. Sometimes I just don’t listen back to them.

2 Likes

when it comes to UM, the jam is never to be implied or expected.

1 Like

Hasn’t Synco always been hit or miss as to whether there’s improv? Echo has almost always been a guarantee but I feel like I saw multiple Syncos over the years with no jam

2 Likes

Solid point!

1 Like

Standard synco is the bluuuuurst

Yeah, you are right. I just have high hopes :frowning:

Yes, I’ve seen far more standard ones

Yeah Synco is like 1/2 and 1/2 improv or standard but it seems like sooo many of the standard versions happen in the midwest. I have seen somewhere around 90 shows and only once got a Synco with improv (2/14/09).

2 Likes

I was gonna say the last synco I saw with actual improv was that barrymore show

pretty sure the only Synco ive seen with improv is from 2/1/18 (GOAT)

but ah still fukn luv that sawng

1 Like

8/15/14 is the only synco jam I’ve seen.

I saw Synco jams on 8/13/10 and 2/18/16, respectively

1 Like

4/11/07 is the GOAT Synco

1 Like

Good one. I prefer 2/9/08

1 Like