2021/09/16 - Resonance Festival - Marvin's Mountaintop, WV

They let Joel write a badass setlist at Resonance so were definitely confirmed for Bayliss writing the worst setlist in the world for Indy tonight.

Cant. Wait.

4 Likes

They finally played the drug fest robot world we spammed the previous bort’s summercamp threads asking for.

Farag birthday show, I would guess he might get set list duty? Maybe potential for an interesting set list. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Plunger w/extra long castanets solo?

3 Likes

Nice! Didnt realize it was his bday. Id love to see a Xanadu setlist

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

2 Likes

Really solid show, lots to like throughout.

Fire Robot World. That’s gotta be one of the most jammed UM shows ever based on track times

1 Like
3 Likes
16 Likes

aaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahah

3 Likes

Brownie needs to join the bort, he would fit in just fine here

15 Likes

He would love it here

8 Likes

Might actually be. Looks like 50 minutes of improv just in set 1. Impressive. Can’t wait to not listen back

Edit: looks like 90 minutes of improv total which I think you’d be hard pressed to find a show with more improv. Maybe 12/30/19?

Just shy of Squeaky Feet’s 9/17 show with 94 minutes of improv. Better luck next time Joel

6 Likes

That’s insane

1 Like

Can you and my “wife” get back here with my breakfast already

2 Likes

Except the show probably won’t ever make it to nugs. And if it does, it will sound like shit.

Time to listen to this show.

Robot was nice. Reminds me a bit of the big Penns Peak one but with a dance section instead of the metal. This is what a solid jam sounds like when they just let it develop. Really liked Joel’s playing at the beginning.

Reso is amazing. Love a good middle jam and this spacey second jam is right up my alley. Could’ve done without the pipeline, but whatever.

Junk and Phil’s both have nice medium sized jams, but I think Linear was the highlight of set 2. Really cool jam, with some nice playing by Jake (I think on slide at the end.) A+ use of that sample in remind me too.

Overall really good show. You can really tell Bayliss is into it (I guess that’s really still all you need for them to actually improvise) and his vocals sound great. Particularly noticeable in HBB

6 Likes

This show doesn’t suck. Def better than '19, but they have crushed both Resonance shows they’ve played. Is this just where UM decides to throw down now?

Robot World is nasty. Beautiful dance party with a decent peak to end.

Revenge of the Nerds samples in Mulches are dope. Really glad they fleshed it out with some proggy stuff instead of the standard predictable crutch dub jam.

Reso is super weird. @cshore jam. Almost falls apart several times. Somehow makes it to the finish line. This is the kind of playing that’s good for UM, though. Took some chances and it sort of landed. Not a GOAT jam by any means, but at least they’re having fun. If they were this loose all the time, they might be almost as good as the biscuits. Imagine if UM took the half court shot and buried it…

I skipped over Glory and MiR tbh. But NN is fun. Solid syncopated dance jam.

The second set is fucking huge. Improv everywhere and it’s all good.

PhilsJunk segment is straight gas. More samples in Junk. Beautiful playing throughout and awesome segues. This is as UM as it gets.

Agree with opsloppoppalips here. Linear is hands down JOTN. Type of ham that started out looking for a big peak…mellows out into some beautiful Joel work. Jake fucking slays this shit. That guy can be really good sometimes. Linear might be the new GOAT UM jam vehicle.

MO felt like they were all battling over territory for a while but settles into a nice groove around 6 min. Falls into some weird, slinky, disjointed jazzy shit a couple minutes later.

Remind Me is a throwaway but love the use of the Billy Madison sample right before the metal section.

I’m definitely turnt, but this felt good. Show kept my attention pretty much the whole time.

3 Likes

4:30am reviews always the best. Def sounds promising. Loving the samples. Always a good time at Marvin’s.

4 Likes