2021/08/08 - Avondale Brewing Co - Birmingham, AL

Eh

I really enjoyed the MO from JITD ‘08

1 Like

Eh you

I thought the Much Obliged from Caverns recently was a pretty solid one, if short. But I agree with the general sentiment.

1 Like

I love this jajunk

9/4/09 MO has my heart

I like this dancey Plunger a lot. Need to go back and revisit this weekends shows or at least the highlights, but this stands out to me so far

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

1 Like

Idk why everyone is fluffing this Jaj and Plung, they’re decent but imo Kabump was the jotn with NN being fantastic up until the last 2 min and CtC being great but just too short.

1 Like

Just curious what are your preferences in terms of improv? I skipped straight to the second set and thought the Plunger was :fire:. Looking forward to hearing the rest of this show now.

Yeah I’d probably agree with you. Bayliss had some synth pad like effect in that NN that it took me a minute to realize it was him. Also dug his chorusy rotary organ stuff in Kabump but my god was that a short peak.

Jajunk was ok but really short. Plunger did almost nothing for me. Had to go back and relisten this morning to double check. Jake’s lead stuff towards the end is very similar to what he was doing in NN. I need a big, uplifting peak to end my Plungers, not a segue into one of their most stale songs of the past few years.

Pretty disappointing show between the short jams and gross song selection. Can’t wait for this weekend.

My #1 type of jam is probably the strongly melodic, soaring peak, poppy jams. Not that there was a lot of that in this show. But I’ll enjoy any jam that has good energy and a logical/fluid layering of instruments.

Sometimes things get too disjointed, or someone commits to something that clashes with the rest of the group, and other times it’s just clearly a lazy/uninspired jam.

I know we’re jaded on this board, but this Plunger is good. Real good. Not every jam needs to have a huge peak. Sometimes textures are where it’s at. I think the peak of this one is actually pretty creative because you think it’s going to explode into a fast peak, and then they do a Jake dropout and slower one instead.

I also think Junk is good, and I wouldn’t want it to be much longer than it is due to its intensity. Organ is an unusual choice from Joel here, but it helps this jam stand out going against that bass groove. I do wish Jake did a little more at the end than he does here, but it’s still good stuff.

Will agree that Night Nurse/Kabump/Wappy are all too short - this set could really benefit from at least one and maybe two less songs. When’s the last time they even played a 6-song set?

8/5/21

1 Like

Second set was 5.

This Night Nurse groove is hot as fuck. Joel on the clav in this context works so well

1 Like

This kind of post perplexes me. They play 5 and 6 song sets all the time. Maybe a little less now than in 2019 but there are still 5 and 6 song sets fairly frequently.

1 Like

I really liked this Plunger. Jake coming out with a pretty typical Jake lick throughout a lot of it but otherwise I like it a lot. Sick e drums, joel on the prophet, and Andy really prominent throughout the second half of the jam

3 Likes

I’m glad my 100th Plunger didn’t suck.

8 Likes

Show is up twice now

1 Like