2021/07/09 - The Caverns - Pelham, TN

Doesn’t look like a lot of room for improv but I love that they keep splitting up Remind Me.

1 Like

That is a very weird looking first set

1 Like

rude

@WhoDatVols did they break out some sex amps?

1 Like

Sex Metal totally struck me as something @sultan would say but this is a great point!

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s what they (the proverbial “they”) call the return to remind me

2 Likes

Had a blast last night. Great song selection and some solid jams

1 Like

Didn’t know that, thanks.

Unique looking show. Looks fun.

One of the strangest sets I’ve seen in quite a while

Show was pretty good. My brother in law and I were delayed almost 4 hrs at O’Hare in the morning so we were just glad to actually make it to the show. Venue is great, really beautiful at night, such a relaxed vibe. A few notes:

• Sweetness had extended Over the Hills and Far Away teases to start the jam before going into a Rhodesy dark dance groove. Possibly the best jam of the show
  • Package had a JO but lol @ “huge” - more like 4-5 mins long
  • Slacker jam got Father Time’d so badly
  • Tinkles was probably the most noteworthy version in a couple years
  • Remind Me jam was cool, had a twangy spaghetti western vibe
  • Night Nurse was great, super dance funky Talking Heads-style jam

Overall a pretty average-good UM show, jamming was good but def didn’t take things next level.

The theme of 2021 UM

2 Likes

Will have to check this out. Love the western sounding jams

1 Like

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

• 2 Zepp teases, Over the Hills and Far Away in Sweetness, and Stairway in the Triple Wide outro.
  • Not sure if I should treat the composed section of Sweetness differently, there’s a lot of constant riffing so I went with that.

My favorite jams were definitely Sweetness and Seasons. The melody Jake came up with in the Seasons jam is really cool and even though it took the guys a bit to catch on, once it started to meld it hit a really nice spot for me.

Can’t remember the last time Tinkles was the longest jam of a show. In fact I can’t remember the last time they took that song out for more than 5 minutes

1 Like

I’ll take you out for 5 minutes

2 Likes

Definitely highlight of the night. I clocked the jam and it was at 8 and some change

1 Like

Ayyy could do like 2 nitrous in that time

3 Likes

Def great jerk material