2014/03/06 - Neptune Theater - Seattle, WA

Set 1: Gurgle > Resolution, #5, The Haunt > Out Of Order, Slacker > Sweetness > Room to Breathe, 40’s Theme[1]

Set 2: Preamble > Mantis, Tribute to the Spinal Shaft > Ocean Billy, JaJunk > Girlfriend is Better > JaJunk

Encore: Divisions

[1] with No Quarter (Led Zeppelin) tease

Home of the Trash Can Mantis - and still one of the best versions of Mantis to be played. Let’s be honest - the entire 2nd set almost burned the Neptune to the ground. I might be a minority in this case, but Junky Girlfriend is still one of my go-to UM jams.

1 Like

@root, you are not in the minority. Junky Girlfriend is the shit! I still love that jam. What a great time we all had. There was me, @sociablehodor, @sabretooth, Fussy, WWP, @Albert.Ross, The Abstract…it was a really fun time!

2 Likes

This was the most fun I’ve had at a Seattle UM show. The Neptune is tiny and we found a great spot on the floor right in front of Jake. Never got too crowded and at one point Stasik came out and jammed next to us in the audience. Kinda wish they would play there in the future instead of Showbox/Moore Theatre sized venues. Good times.

this is the show that some spunion in the row behind me picked up my audio recorder (tascam dr mk100) and slammed it against a pillar/column at the end of our row.

nothing was broken, but oooo boy did that piss me off

This jajunk is A+ Bayliss. Some nice playing as the jam starts and then kicks the shredding into high gear when the band speeds up behind him. Love it

2 Likes

This Mantis is an all timer for me. Probably in the top 5 jams I’ve seen live.

2 Likes

seriously? was there a prior disagreement or was he just out of his head?

1 Like

never saw him before in my life. the recorder, has on-board mics which was all i was using to record, (so not a full mic-stand or anything) was sitting on my hoodie/jacket on my seat.

at some point, commotion over my shoulder caught my attention, and i see dude with it in his hand banging it on the column.

my wife reminds me that he had a smile on his face, and that he was definitely out of his mind and there was no way he was comprehending what he was doing.

it was weird, because while he could have smashed it if he used real force. just a bizarre experience.

1 Like

Lol I’m pretty sure you are responding to yourself here, since root just copied over most of the threads from the new-newbort

2 Likes

OMG LOL I guess I did respond to myself. LMAO it’s not often that I get owned by my own old Bort posts.

3 Likes

8 year anniversary bump for arguably the finest show they’ve done in Seattle!

3 Likes

GOAT Mantis IMO. Glorious BB/Jake interplay

3 Likes

This is @thefussyasianman and I’s favorite Mantis…the Trashcan Mantis!

2 Likes

Legendary.

Yeah this show fucks super hard. Obvious segments have been mentioned. I love the No Quarter jam in 40s.

Solid show front to back

1 Like

really dug the junk > gf > junk

3 Likes

Junky Girlfriend brah. We’ve all been there. Right?

…RIGHT?

3 Likes

i taped this show from the balcony (teac ME-80s → tascam mkii-dr100), but never edited the files, so i have two giant .wav files sitting on an external hard drive. this is a terrible habit of mine, taping a show, backing up the original .wavs, then not actually process them and/or get them on LMA.
edit: got my seattle shows mixed up. story of recording this one is already posted in this thread

not sure why the mantis is the trashcan mantis

1 Like

79a39ee09c8c544e3434cd4ddbbdad26

1 Like

Drugs. Absent-mindedly tossed into a trash can outside of the venue. By me. Sifting through said trash can, miraculous find! Return to show to a raging Mantis jam. Voila, trashcan Mantis.

7 Likes