2021/05/07 - Westville Music Bowl - New Haven, CT

@Bron-yr-Aur approved

2 Likes

Maybe my expectations were too high but this Crooked jam gets a 7/10 for me when I was buckling up for a 9/10

Crooked is definitely a top notch jam. Much better than a 7/10 imo. But that’s really all that excited me from this show. Setlist is great, but the jams fall pretty flat. This is nowhere near ATL night 2.

First section of crooked one is pretty awkward. I don’t think Bayliss is hearing the distinction between the bVII and the V and there’s a lot of awkward harmony because of that

4 Likes

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

7 Likes

Another solid set 2. Crooked was the standout for me, but Looks in S1 was really solid too.

3 Likes

Looks was great. The Crooked jam in some ways reminded me of the 7/3/19 Linear. I know they didn’t play Sailing like in 7/3 but the vibe is similar

1 Like

Agreed, it’s the flattest VII I’ve ever heard

1 Like

I really enjoyed the Bad Friday from this show, just seems like a natural progression to a nice peak that doesn’t try too hard but works well. Also really enjoy the IDM with the short jazzy first jam. Trying to sell myself on Crooked but the jam doesn’t stand out to me whatsoever

I think I’m on the opposite side of every take here. Love this band

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong I’m stoked the band is playing like they are, I can’t remember the last time I was so anxious to listen to new shows. Just seems like the overlooked aspects are my favorite parts here

To be honest Bayliss’ playing is a little sloppy but if he was playing perfectly in sync with Jake this would sound much more like a standard soaring uplifting jam but because he hits some “wrong” notes it still has a bit of suspense in it.

Bad Friday jam is fine, it’s pretty good actually but it’s still pretty typical of a Bad Friday. IDM on the other hand is great. 10+ mins of improv between the jams and the 2nd one hits a really nicely executed peak. Pretty huge 3 song run to open that second set.

I would have loved this show. N2F > OOO, Looks JO, #5 > N2F, Daffodils is a perfect segment on paper. Overall none of the jams really get there but song selection is A+

3 Likes

I’d agree with this if it sounded like there was some intent to it. Second half of the jam was dope but idk first half felt like it didn’t accomplish what it set out to do

This show is okay but it’s not quite a home run for me like much of last weekend was. Bayliss and Jake struggle to get on the same page throughout the night. While this knocks the Crooked jam down from being great to merely good, it also keeps Looks and IDM from getting off the ground much at all to these ears. Oh well. Fun song selection and set flow. Especially loving the trend of a long jam at the beginning of every second set. I agree that the extra suspense adds something to Crooked at times but the wrong notes take away from it at others.

IDM > Speak Up segue was super tight. Nice work.

Also, @jwelsh8 the Rocker 2 teases in Crooked should be noted. They start around 16:50 and there’s an especially obvious one at 17:05 :slight_smile: I would bet a sizeable amount of money Rocker 2 was on the written setlist and they pivoted last second.

2 Likes

Love the Bad Friday. As if a bad Bad Friday exists.

Thanks. Added! Nice prolonged segue . . .

I’ve yet to see the printed setlist posted online anywhere

1 Like

I thought for sure it was going into Rocker 2

1 Like